• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We have to kill a deity -Tyranny spoilers!

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Well hi all,
This is the situation: I'm running tyranny of dragons for the second time with another group obviously (for the first group I'm running OotA). They just crashed the flying castle. Ill continue with RoT, Frozen castle and SKT.
Right now they are coming from the north. One of the characters was seduced by cyric in secret. Players know, characters don't, we all love that history and it's a lot of fun for everyone, so I'm giving him chances to spread madness always in cities and towns. He asked me something like "in the way back, can I do dark business in the cities we pass through?"
Of course! My plan is to run a parallel mini adventure in which he separates from the group and kill a deity. Oh he has a Nine Lives Stealer, gift from cyric in order to absorb Tiamat's soul when the moment comes.

I want some idea about which god he can kill. I was thinking in kill Shar. So he can absorb her essence. Also I was thinking in Umberlee. The player like the chaos about Umberlee. If you have ideas on how to kill that deity I'll be thankful.

I think in having a cult or something, he can enter and steal something with the essence of the god, maybe fight a minor avatar. He is a rogue (assassin) so he just can do all those things. Maybe a god coming like Tiamat in the last chapter, he can interrupt the ritual and absorb the deity.

Please inspire me with ideas.

One of the two sun gods - Araumathor and Lathandar - would be my suggestions for gods to kill. It doesn't leave any awkward gaps in the pantheon, is definitively evil, and it'll let you play around with the idea that the two were linked somehow, and that the other is now wounded and out for revenge.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I thought about one of them and then the sun is weaker than before. Maybe he is coming to the material plane because of reasons, I have to work on the circumstances.

Last edited:

Irennan

Explorer
If you want to stick to canon, the only deities that he can kill are demipowers. All the rest, a mortal won't be able to slay, unless he uses an immensely powerful artifact, and unless he manages to do that on their native plane. And even then, he'd have to face the deity itself--which alone is a thing for characters that are far in the epic levels--and all their servants, in a place that the god might even be able bend and mold according to their will. The deity could even get support from their allies. It's basically suicide.

Going after a *greater* deity is essentially stupidity, unless you managed to get another greater deity on your side (and Cyric is still trapped in his throne, and will be for another 900 years). Cyric going after Mystra required both him and Shar, and the way it happened was a honestly really far fetched thing, with a healthy does of randomness favoring the two murderers (and even then, they didn't really manage to kill Mystra. They only forced her to hide, weakened, for about a century).

If you want to go around canon, then go for whatever you and your players will enjoy the most. If you want to treat greater powers like demipowers (in that they can be killed by mortals) and have an epic battle between your party and that deity+his servants, then totally go for it IMO. I'd however suggest that you at least take the power of Tiamat's avatar that the cult wants to summon to Toril. Idk, maybe devise a way to craft a powerful artifact from its essence that you'd get with 9 lives stealer, or something along those lines. Considering Cyric's personal inclination, I'd have the character go after either Kelemvor or Mystra (yeah, again, lol)--maybe he could get Myrkul's help/try to trick him into helping him against Kel (Myrkul could help you with forging the artifact that I mentioned above, in exchange for the portfolio of the dead, currently held by Kel. Normally, post-Sundering, the portfolios would be set in stone by Ao through the new tablets, but if you are already forgoing canon, then it's not a problem).

Last edited:

Irennan

Explorer
That would be his avatar, tho. Deities themselves cannot fully manifest themselves on the prime, to my personal knowledge.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
That would be his avatar, tho. Deities themselves cannot fully manifest themselves on the prime, to my personal knowledge.
the point is that bis imprisonment must be over for that, as this was really the only effect of it. He could answer prayers and grant spells all the time, physically interaction was the only thing forbidden

Irennan

Explorer
Yeah, but what I meant is that if his main form is still confined in his realm (could be), then he won't be able to personally help the PC with killing another god (aside from sending an avatar, but that wouldn't have a deep effect against greater deities like Shar--it would surely help take care of her servants, tho).

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Id go with a lesser deity; but as has been posted, all the deities are back, the Sundering fixed a lot of the crap that 4e loaded into the FR setting

Remove ads