We Still Need ORC

glass

(he, him)
Sure, but your computer does. You put your SRD out under CC, not your book.
That works once, for whoever is at the top of any given chain. Doesn't work so well for anyone inheriting from them.

That is the opposite of their strategy. They have made it plain that they are not abandoning 5e.
How have they made that plain? By producing playtest packets at least as different from 5e as 3.5 was from 3.0?

It was pretty clear that the 2024 edition was going to be at least a 5.5. The only question now is how/if the events of the last few weeks will change that. I suppose there is a slim chance that they will pivot to actually doing revised core books for 5e, but I would not put any money on it!

(I consider it less likely that any of the other three options - stay the course with 5.5, do a full-on 6e, or scrap the idea of releasing any new PHB etc in 2024).

Having a way that allows orphaned works to be more broadly used even if they are initially restricted while supported by their creator would clear up a lot of those type of problems.
While that would be nice, it is not something ORC can do. It would require legislation (IANAL, TINLA).

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
How have they made that plain? By producing playtest packets at least as different from 5e as 3.5 was from 3.0?

It was pretty clear that the 2024 edition was going to be at least a 5.5. The only question now is how/if the events of the last few weeks will change that. I suppose there is a slim chance that they will pivot to actually doing revise core books for 5e, but I would not put any money on it!
They have made it plain in words. By explicitly stating that they are happy with 5e and are keeping it as the chassis for 5e. They have made it plain in actions, by releasing playtest material that tweaks a few elements of 5e but doesn't change anything significant. And they have made it plain in strategy, by releasing the SRD into the Creative Commons, which makes it extraordinarily high risk to abandon 5e, and by doubling down on DDB, which is built around 5e, as the backbone of their future plans.

They can't pivot to doing what they already said they were going to do. Go watch the OneD&D announcement again: they straight up say we are keeping 5e, and we are building around DDB.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
It's now been over a month since the original announcement of ORC:

So where is it? Still being worked on? Somewhere down the bottom of the to-do list? Or completely out the door now that the original OGL is 'safe' and there is a CC option? Or was it a publicity stunt all along for some goodwill after whichever public relations nightmare we've already forgotten?

It's now been over a month since the original announcement of ORC:

So where is it? Still being worked on? Somewhere down the bottom of the to-do list? Or completely out the door now that the original OGL is 'safe' and there is a CC option? Or was it a publicity stunt all along for some goodwill after whichever public relations nightmare we've already forgotten?

The first draft of it is supposed to be shown off this month. Also why are all your theories incredibly negative?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
The first draft of it is supposed to be shown off this month.
Ok, do you have a source for that? Naming it ORC might play great in the media, but it's a lousy search term in their forums!

Also why are all your theories incredibly negative?
Experience. deadpan

But it wasn't necessarily negative, I just stated some options on the whole range of options. The option that it was already out and absolutely great was not mentioned because... It's not out yet! ;)

Also, I can't take all the credit for that last idea, someone else mentioned the Paizo shenanigans in the discussion about WotC, that when they showed their idea for ORC that most of us had already forgotten their issues (from before), that had people up in arms (pitchforks). And now WotC has the eire of the masses with the OGL shenanigans... I thought that comment very insightful and pretty relevant here... Paizo stopped being a tiny disruptive company a while ago, it's not even in sight of WotC, but I would say that it's one of the bigger RPG companies that will absolutely have their own issues.

Ok, do you have a source for that? Naming it ORC might play great in the media, but it's a lousy search term in their forums!

"So, how long will it take? We expect a first draft released for feedback in February, and the final iteration depends on the publisher feedback we receive, finding or establishing the right foundation to protect the ORC, setting some standards agreeable to all publishers, and other elements vital to the long-term health of the ORC. Ultimately, the timeline will be driven by Azora Law, and they won’t release the final version until it’s ready."

Experience. deadpan

But it wasn't necessarily negative, I just stated some options on the whole range of options. The option that it was already out and absolutely great was not mentioned because... It's not out yet! ;)

Also, I can't take all the credit for that last idea, someone else mentioned the Paizo shenanigans in the discussion about WotC, that when they showed their idea for ORC that most of us had already forgotten their issues (from before), that had people up in arms (pitchforks). And now WotC has the eire of the masses with the OGL shenanigans... I thought that comment very insightful and pretty relevant here... Paizo stopped being a tiny disruptive company a while ago, it's not even in sight of WotC, but I would say that it's one of the bigger RPG companies that will absolutely have their own issues.

I dunno, when you come in with "Where is it? Is it still being worked on?", it comes off more as an accusation, especially given how you end.

But given how much criticism has been given to the OGL for its legal failings, I suppose I'm willing to give them more time to make sure things are properly up to legal snuff so that we don't run into this sort of situation with different publishers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases