We Still Need ORC

dave2008

Legend
If WotC had released all the SRDs (including a complete 5E SRD) under Share Alike it probably would have been fine, but without that it kind of undermines the intent of the OGL.
I am not exactly following. Here is my understanding, please clarify what I am missing / where I am wrong:
  • 5.1 SRD is OGL 1.0(a) and CC-BY (CC)
  • future SRDs and older (particularly 3/3.5e) SRDs will be OGL 1.0(a) and CC
  • WotC said the might release SRDS for other editions (1e, 2e, 4e, etc.) to CC, can't remember if the committed to OGL for that too.
  • WotC said they may release SRDs to ORC.
  • CC is not share-a-like.
  • CC does not prevent you from sharing your content nor protecting your content (just might be a bit cumbersome to protect it if you share your content under CC).
  • The intent of the OGL is to be "open."
  • CC is not controlled by WotC - it is completely "open." I have heard some say more "open" than the OGL. But again, you can still protect content you don't want to share.

Reynard

Legend
I am not exactly following. Here is my understanding, please clarify what I am missing / where I am wrong:
  • 5.1 SRD is OGL 1.0(a) and CC-BY (CC)
  • future SRDs and older (particularly 3/3.5e) SRDs will be OGL 1.0(a) and CC
  • WotC said the might release SRDS for other editions (1e, 2e, 4e, etc.) to CC, can't remember if the committed to OGL for that too.
  • WotC said they may release SRDs to ORC.
  • CC is not share-a-like.
  • CC does not prevent you from sharing your content nor protecting your content (just might be a bit cumbersome to protect it if you share your content under CC).
  • The intent of the OGL is to be "open."
  • CC is not controlled by WotC - it is completely "open." I have heard some say more "open" than the OGL. But again, you can still protect content you don't want to share.
I was answering a question about why CC was not sufficient. Multiple companies with hundreds or thousands of creators have their core businesses tied to an uncertain license in the OGL. That fact has not changed by the inclusion of the SRD 5.1 under CC, because a) it ignores any and all work not associated with 5E, and b) CC does not allow or require derivate works to themselves be open as the OGL did (yes, yes, someone is going to come in and say the OGL didn't either, but it explicitly did -- in the definitions, specifically -- even if creators tried to pretend it didn't).

People that think the current situation fixes anything are betraying their myopic view that only 5E matters and that the only thing that matters is for them being able to sell their own books. Those people should probably just go sell on the DMsGuild since they aren't actually interested in the Open Gaming community.

Reynard

Legend
no I mean the entire idea of open gaming is based on WotC
Not thsi WotC. It was based on a handful of people that codified it in such a way that it worked for 20+ years before some corporate goon tried to light it on fire because they were afraid Disney was going to make a movie with an owlbear or some nonsense.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
thats cute and all... but this is a little crazy, no one did anything, no one sued anyone, and most important it is STILL based on wotc (a if not this) OGL from 2000
The point was the in the room/"we were there" comment & I tried to highlight that by repeating the in "the room" bit.. You are claiming open gaming is "based on wotc", the fact that this is a very different wotc than it was then when the OGL was created to defensively ensure something like the GSL or OGL1.1 couldn't one day kill the hobby is relevant.

Remove ads