We Still Need ORC

Clint_L

Hero
Nobody knows. It doesn't exist yet.
Will it exist? That becomes quite the question, now. WotC just potentially de-incentivized a lot of its supporters. Kobold Press, for example, is a lot more secure than it was.

I suspect it will go ahead because it would be bad optics for it not to, and I am sure that groups like Paizo will still see an upside, but I don't know that it will have much wind in its sails.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It might be good to see some sort of orphaned system/orphaned work provision to be included in ORC. For example 2e 4e & oh so many forgotten 90s era systems are good examples of orphaned systems that are no longer in print & might not even be a thing you can purchase digitally their publisher abandoned them or shut down. Plenty of classic old school adventures are in a similar limbo where nobody knows who (if anyone) owns the rights because the author died so long ago. Having a way that allows orphaned works to be more broadly used even if they are initially restricted while supported by their creator would clear up a lot of those type of problems.

Reynard

Legend
It might be good to see some sort of orphaned system/orphaned work provision to be included in ORC. For example 2e 4e & oh so many forgotten 90s era systems are good examples of orphaned systems that are no longer in print & might not even be a thing you can purchase digitally their publisher abandoned them or shut down. Plenty of classic old school adventures are in a similar limbo where nobody knows who (if anyone) owns the rights because the author died so long ago. Having a way that allows orphaned works to be more broadly used even if they are initially restricted while supported by their creator would clear up a lot of those type of problems.
Going out of print doesn't port a work into the public domain, I don't think. Nor does the death of the author. I don't think it is possible to simply take the 4E SRD that was released under the GSL (for example) and release it under ORC and call it a day.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Well, it does eventually. But not on a timescale that's any use here. :)
The length of time that takes is a travesty in and of itself, but that's neither here nor there.

I really do hope that ORC does eventually grow to be a valid replacement for the dominance of the OGL in the industry. The shakeup would be great to see, from a more global open content perspective.

Remove ads