D&D 5E Weakest Stat Combo

Zardnaar

Legend
For a PC race what do you think the weakest Stat Combo is?

In the PHB charisma and intelligence in the Tiefling seems meh.

Theoretically strength and intelligence would be but no race has this combo in the PHB. I don't recall any in VGtM or MToF either but that's off the top of my head.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't know of any STR/INT combo for races that I can think of.

As for CHA/INT, I guess how "weak" that is depends on your goal and character concept. Any combination of the "weak" ability scores (STR, INT, and CHA) could be difficult as well and considered weaker, but again class and concept makes a big difference.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Tiefling is great for School of Enchantment wizard — not weak at all.

I don’t think there are any weak racial ASI combos. They’re meant to reflect the flavor of the race.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't know of any STR/INT combo for races that I can think of.

As for CHA/INT, I guess how "weak" that is depends on your goal and character concept. Any combination of the "weak" ability scores (STR, INT, and CHA) could be difficult as well and considered weaker, but again class and concept makes a big difference.

I don't regard charisma as weak though.

Charisma strength for example Paladin's, Bards, Bladelocks, etc.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't regard charisma as weak though.

Charisma strength for example Paladin's, Bards, Bladelocks, etc.

CHA is weak only in the sense of the saves now IMO. DEX/CON/WIS tend to be considered the big saves and so races that have two of those, in combination with a class where they are useful, benefit more. This is why no class has saves in two of DEX/CON/WIS, one save is always STR/INT/CHA.

That's all I meant.

Shiroiken

Legend
I'd propose the Fire Genasi (+2 Con, +1 Int) since while Con is a survival score, it won't help you towards achieving things. Also Triton (+1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha) is iffy, since it's so spread out. I totally agree that anything that gave Str/Int would be the worst, because there's only one archtype that would use it.

Ashrym

Legend
STR / INT is rather limited. Human, variant human, or half-elf can use the floating bonuses for those and one subclass of fighter is the one way I would bother with the combo.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Looks to me like this thread is about finding the weakest stat combos. Doesn't matter how many good uses a combination like Cha/Int has; if you can't think of a worse combo, it may still be the worst.

I'd propose the Fire Genasi (+2 Con, +1 Int) since while Con is a survival score, it won't help you towards achieving things.
I disagree; as a Wizard, once Int is taken care of I would put Con above anything else. Keeping concentration helps achieve things, and I would argue not dying is worth more that being good at doing things anyway.

Also Triton (+1 Str, +1 Con, +1 Cha) is iffy, since it's so spread out.
I think you picked a winner here, that's gonna be hard to beat. Like, a Bladelock would appreciate all of these things, but any combo will find some uses (even Str/Int wouldn't be terrible for some Eldritch Knights).

Githyanki (MToF) get +2 Strength/+1 Int. Which as the original gish, and coming with weapon and armour proficiencies isn't actually bad. Wizard in medium armor and 2H sword Booming Blading everyone = win.

I generally rate tieflings and gnomes as the weakest PHB races. But MToF has some stronger options for Tieflings (cha/dex, cha/str), as does the SCAG variant (int/dex).

Remove ads