• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Augment Crystals and the Soulknife's Mindblade?

Nyeshet

First Post
iceifur said:
Though it is worth noting that the mind blade can be sundered -- it has a real, tangible existence.

Personally, I'd say that augment crystals can be attached, but only if the blade has a +1 enhancement bonus or better (until then, it is neither a masterwork weapon nor a weapon with an enhancement bonus, so augment crystals won't function). If the blade is thrown, the crystal goes with it. If the blade dissipates, the crystal falls to the ground.
This is actually a very good point. The mind blade can appear to be anything from a shaped mist to a collection of motes of light to actual metal. I would say that if the Soulknife is forming their mindblade into something that appears real and can be sundered, then it has the form and substance to allow for the attachment of these crystals.

However, as stated, if the weapon is thrown, the crystal goes with it. If it is dropped, dissipated, or sundered, then the crystal falls to the ground.

irdeggman

First Post
Patlin said:
Druids and monks have similar problems... natural and unarmed attacks are hard to attach crytals to.

And warlocks too. Can't use it with a spell-like ability and warlocks typcially also rely on a single "weapon" - their EB.

I've always found the concept of a warlock/soul knife intriging. A character who always has a melee and a ranged weapon at his disposal. Too bad you lose so many things by multiclassing.

frankthedm

First Post
I'd say if you WANT to letthe MB use those blasted augment crystals, once the mindblade forms, let the MB attach it as a standard action.

When & wherever the mindblade dissipates, the crystal falls to the ground.

Bacris

First Post
An item concept that originally started on the WotC Psionics forums (I believe that's where the idea first cropped up...) was Crystal Hilts, where you channel the mind blade through it for x benefit (where x could be a variety of things). There are two distinct versions of crystal hilts on the WotC psionics forum - one by user Todd, one by user MaverickWolf. MaverickWolf's version was expanded and edited and incorporated as part of High Psionics: Soulknives, but the base set is completely free at the WotC forums.

Seems like a crystal hilt might be a good fit for what you're looking for. :)

Nyeshet

First Post
irdeggman said:
I've always found the concept of a warlock/soul knife intriging. A character who always has a melee and a ranged weapon at his disposal. Too bad you lose so many things by multiclassing.
I wonder how a gestault of the two would work out? I've had several tell me that they feel both classes are a bit on the weak side - especially at higher levels, so perhaps a gestault of the two would be the opposite - a bit overpowered a lower levels and the high side of balanced at high levels?

An interesting idea for an NPC, perhaps, but it should be part of another thread, I think.

Remove ads