Weapon Focus: Grapple?

WD40

First Post
Weapon Focus [General] Choose one type of weapon, such as greataxe. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple.
So, you can, apparently, take Weapon Focus Grapple. (I assume it applies itself to your grapple check, as opposed to the touch attack needed to start the grapple. But conformation on this would be apreciated.)

Is is feasable, therefore, to take 'Weapon Foucs: Trip', or Sunder... If it is... when, during those actions would the bonus apply?

What do you think?

UltimaGabe

First Post
I don't think so. After all, Grapple is essentially a weapon- it's more or less an attack roll (perhaps with some extra modifiers), and it can deal damage. Trip and Sunder don't.

Orm

Explorer
As Weapon Focus gives +1 ti the attack roll, I assume it´s only a +1 to the touch attack.
To get a +4 to the grapple check, take Improved Grapple. It also prevents AoO.

Orm

Infiniti2000

First Post
WD40 said:
So, you can, apparently, take Weapon Focus Grapple. (I assume it applies itself to your grapple check, as opposed to the touch attack needed to start the grapple. But conformation on this would be apreciated.)
As Orm said, no. Note that if you rule that the touch attack for grapple is an unarmed strike, then WF (grapple) is really stupid because it's far better to take weapon focus (unarmed strike) instead, which you could apply elsewhere. As it is, the touch attack is usually the easiest part, so WF (grapple) is a bad choice anyway. (Houserule: I houserule the opposed grapple check to be a special attack roll so things like this, power attack, etc. apply as people would normally expect.)

WD40 said:
Is is feasable, therefore, to take 'Weapon Foucs: Trip', or Sunder... If it is... when, during those actions would the bonus apply?
No, because those are not weapons and not called out as a specific exception like grapple. It would be okay as a houserule, though.

Li Shenron

Legend
Orm said:
As Weapon Focus gives +1 ti the attack roll, I assume it´s only a +1 to the touch attack.
To get a +4 to the grapple check, take Improved Grapple. It also prevents AoO.

I would say the same, that +1 is only to the attack roll and not the grapple check (like any other Weapon Focus), but then why not just taking Weapon Focus (touch)? IIRC it exists in Tome & Blood.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
I would say the same, that +1 is only to the attack roll and not the grapple check (like any other Weapon Focus), but then why not just taking Weapon Focus (touch)? IIRC it exists in Tome & Blood.

That rule is replaced by weapon-like spell rule in Complete Arcane. Now you don't take "Weapon Focus: Touch" nor "Weapon Focus: Ray". Now there are "Weapon Focus: Ranged Spell" and "Weapon Focus: Touch Spell". So you cannot take focus feat for generic "touch".

Remove ads