• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Illustration Sketches

Tetsubo

First Post
Thaniel said:
It's the symbol of Kord. I did it on graph paper as you suggested earlier. However, I had some trouble with the symmetry (haven't quite gotten back into the rhythm yet) so I mirrored one side to the other in Photoshop and then got rid of the grid lines as best I could.

I can remember using a very primitive version of the mirror technique when I was younger. I'd draw half of a sketch, fold the paper in half and rub the image from the back. I'm sure that Photoshop makes that much easier... :)

What version of Photoshop are you using? How steep is the learning curve for the software? I've considered getting a copy but I am a bit intimidated by it. TIA.

BTW, glad that you've taken up the pencil again. :)

Thaniel

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I can remember using a very primitive version of the mirror technique when I was younger. I'd draw half of a sketch, fold the paper in half and rub the image from the back. I'm sure that Photoshop makes that much easier... :)

What version of Photoshop are you using? How steep is the learning curve for the software? I've considered getting a copy but I am a bit intimidated by it. TIA.

BTW, glad that you've taken up the pencil again. :)

I have the latest version (Photoshop CS). I've been using it for about 8 years now. I forget the learning curve by now :\ . I thoroughly recommend it though. It's quite robust.

Thaniel

P.S. Gotten a chance to think about any of my other requests? The gauntlet especially is difficult for me. I have real trouble with drawing hands.

Tetsubo

First Post
Thaniel said:
I have the latest version (Photoshop CS). I've been using it for about 8 years now. I forget the learning curve by now :\ . I thoroughly recommend it though. It's quite robust.

Thaniel

P.S. Gotten a chance to think about any of my other requests? The gauntlet especially is difficult for me. I have real trouble with drawing hands.

I'll have to hold off on the latest version of Photoshop until my finances look better. :)

I have an idea for the combat crowbar.

Gauntlets can be a pain. Here's a picture I found somewhere...

Attachments

• gauntlet.jpg
    gauntlet.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 235

Axegrrl

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I'll have to hold off on the latest version of Photoshop until my finances look better.
At this point, I'd suggest the "Photoshop Elements" version if you really want Photoshop. MUCH cheaper due to a reduced feature set -- which should be plenty of stuff to play with to get you started.

You might actually find Illustrator, Fireworks, or the like to be more suited for your purposes, however. Check out some demos if you can.

And ping Jim Butler about doing some illustrations for his next book o' weapons and stuff!

Tetsubo

First Post
Combat Crowbar...

I had a request for a crowbar design that could double as a back-up weapon. I rotated the main prying surface 90 degrees to put in a more "blade" like orientation. I also straightened it rather than have it at a slight angle. I added a "guard" nub to keep the hand from sliding done the shaft when being used as a weapon. Wrap the shaft to afford a bit of grip and you have a Combat Crowbar! Every would be thief will want one!

Attachments

• combatcrowbar.jpg
    combatcrowbar.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 222

Thaniel

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Combat Crowbar...

I had a request for a crowbar design that could double as a back-up weapon. I rotated the main prying surface 90 degrees to put in a more "blade" like orientation. I also straightened it rather than have it at a slight angle. I added a "guard" nub to keep the hand from sliding done the shaft when being used as a weapon. Wrap the shaft to afford a bit of grip and you have a Combat Crowbar! Every would be thief will want one!

That is brilliant. Much appreciated. Now to take that into photoshop and inscribe "Espius" into it (the name of my character's crowbar).

Thanks again.

Thaniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads