D&D 4E Weapon Sizes must die in 4E

Okay, how about this ...

Plus, as an added benefit player option, you could have wizards that use battle axes (with damage befitting a wizard) ... and fighters that specialize in the use of daggers and still deal out awesome damage!

JDJblatherings

First Post
Mighty Halfling said:
Okay, how about this ...

Plus, as an added benefit player option, you could have wizards that use battle axes (with damage befitting a wizard) ... and fighters that specialize in the use of daggers and still deal out awesome damage!

A wizard can have a battle axe, it has a feat cost. Fighters can be really impressive with daggers and that has a feat cost also. already covered in 3.x .

MarkB

Legend
JDJblatherings said:
A wizard can have a battle axe, it has a feat cost. Fighters can be really impressive with daggers and that has a feat cost also. already covered in 3.x .
This, I have no problem with. A character switching from a dagger to a battle axe and still doing the same damage, because weapon damage has been divorced from weapons - that, I would have a problem with.

Storm Raven

First Post
Ranger REG said:
A flamboyant one? Why, is your imagination that limited? :p

No, it isn't. I just look at the storm giant racial abilities and note that the standard one has a Strength of 39, and a Dexterity of 14. Given that, there's simply no way that storm giant culture would develop in a way that "flamboyant" would equate to "rapier" - just like in ours, flamboyant has not equated to "pocket knife".

Rapier wielding storm giants are extreme corner cases - and developing rules to deal with extreme coner cases while complicating the majority of situations is, IHO, extraordinarily poor game design - among the various changes made from 3.0 -> 3.5, it was the poorest thought out.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
MarkB said:
This, I have no problem with. A character switching from a dagger to a battle axe and still doing the same damage, because weapon damage has been divorced from weapons - that, I would have a problem with.
I could kinda see a Wizard with a sword doing damage as though sword were a club, because he doesn't know how to use it right.

Hmm...

- Damage type (slashing, etc.) comes from weapon.
- Crit range & multiplier comes from weapon, modified by class abilities, but mostly is just 20/x2.
- Base damage comes from a combination of weapon category (light / one-handed / two-handed) and class abilities.

Cheers, -- N

Ranger REG

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
No, it isn't. I just look at the storm giant racial abilities and note that the standard one has a Strength of 39, and a Dexterity of 14. Given that, there's simply no way that storm giant culture would develop in a way that "flamboyant" would equate to "rapier" - just like in ours, flamboyant has not equated to "pocket knife".

Rapier wielding storm giants are extreme corner cases - and developing rules to deal with extreme coner cases while complicating the majority of situations is, IHO, extraordinarily poor game design - among the various changes made from 3.0 -> 3.5, it was the poorest thought out.
If it's possible, no matter how miniscule or handful they may be, why not? Let's take a Storm giant wizard, whose starting proficiency includes a dagger. Their culture (as with any other cultures) must have similar counterpart weapon, albeit huge. Or do you just give them a (human) greatsword?

I was right, your imagination is limited, especially when you try to measure other races using exact human-scale benchmark.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ranger REG said:
I was right, your imagination is limited
:uhoh:

- - -

Rapiers are One-Handed, not Light. Why would a strength-based warrior NOT choose to use one? It's just like a Scimitar, but with piercing damage. You can even two-handed Power Attack with it.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads