• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons with an Arabian/Calimshan flavour

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
sjmiller said:
Ancient Egyptians used a kopesh, which would be a cool and exotic weapon, if a bit old fashioned.

Sappara - was the Assyrian version of the Kopesh
shamsir - another curved sword
Also add axes and small sheilds as appropriate

and aren't Picks of Persian origin?

Griffith Dragonlake said:
Spears yes, but not lances. AFAIK the Europeans were the only ones to couch their spears. An uncouched lance is a spear for all intents and purposes in D&D.

so what is the difference between A Spear and a Lance?

If an Indian/Arabian Horsemen is fighting with a 'long pointy stick' isn't he using a Lance?

Last edited:

Meloncov

First Post
Tonguez said:

If an Indian/Arabian Horsemen is fighting with a 'long pointy stick' isn't he using a Lance?

Spears are held by the shaft, while lances have a handle perpendicular to the shaft.

Tonguez said:

The short answer is that a lance does double damage on impact because the rider has the lance (or spear) couched under his arm and he is standing in the saddle when the horse charges. Whereas if the spear/lance is not couched and/or the rider is in the wrong kind of saddle (e.g. no stirrups) he will be knocked off his horse and will not be able to transfer the energy of the charging horse to the victim.

Historically, Mediæval European knights dominated the battlefield because of the lance. The Saracens like the Mongols were good at stabbing people with spears from horseback but didn't know and/or didn't have the equipment for a proper joust. And their tactics reflected that. Saracens were known for hit and run skirmishes and raids rather than a straight out charge like the knights of yore.

Bottom line is that in game terms an Arabian flavor would involve warriors mounted on war-camels or light war horses with spears, composite shortbows, and scimitars. Definitely not lances and they would not get double damage when charging with a spear. And IIRC the spears were uncommon if not outright rare. Most Saracens fought with scimitar and bow. The spear tactics were of Persian/Iranian and North Indian.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
sjmiller said:
The kukri is Nepalese.
Not really, they're most famously associated with Nepal through the Gurkas but the Kukri itself is a design common throughout the larger region of the trans-Himalayas and India. They are probably a scaled down version of the short chopping swords carried by Alexander's troops. Kukri's appeared only after Alexander's time and first appear in the path of his advance, then later spread to Nepal.

Meloncov

First Post
I've never seen a lance with a handle perpendicular to the shaft. Do you have a URL or picture to share?

I did some research, and it turns out I was misinformed. Danm you Lego for confusing me.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I thought the Shamshir was a particularly curvy sabre, basically. Something to do with a lion's claw (the name, that is.) Though that is from memory. . .

Not sure. I'll look it up soon.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Did Jonathan, Monte, or Skip ever stop to think that for many youngsters, D&D is their first glimpse into historical arms & armor?

I think it's vastly more likely that Naruto or Oblivion is their first glimpse into arms & armor :) Really, not even historians (except the ones that just crib off the others) can agree on what various weapons were called. Read any five accounts and you'll find five different names for 'sword between 3' and 4.5', etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads