Wednesday Netflix (Spoilers allowed)

Anyone notice the Millar and Gough Realty sign? 🤣

When the boy lost his glasses. I said out loud "Jenkies my glasses"

I feel bad for poor Enid. Horrible mother and a stupid boyfriend. I mean come on, how does a gorgon petrify himself? Shouldn't he have immunity to his own ability? S
Well, there are apparently two variations of the story of Perseus vs Medusa, in one he uses the mirror (or rather, a shield polished enough to act as mirror) to look at her so she cannot petrify him, in the other he uses the mirror so she looks at herself and turns to stone.

MarkB

Legend
Well, there are apparently two variations of the story of Perseus vs Medusa, in one he uses the mirror (or rather, a shield polished enough to act as mirror) to look at her so she cannot petrify him, in the other he uses the mirror so she looks at herself and turns to stone.
Presumably the second variant doesn't include Perseus getting to keep the head as his own personal deathray.

I did like the idea that it's the gorgons' snake eyes that cause petrification, allowing them to just put the actor in a hoodie rather than the more traditional face-obscuring veil. It also makes the snake-hair more than merely a cosmetic feature.

And if a gorgon ever decides to cut loose, that must be a significant advantage, giving them essentially 360-degree coverage.

pukunui

Legend
Just started watching. Halfway through.

Jenna Ortega is perfect as Wednesday. I like everyone except Morticia and Gomez.

Catherine and Luis just don’t have the same chemistry that Anjelica and Raul had in the 90s movies. In fact, Catherine just comes across as uncomfortable in the role and, frankly, somewhat disgusted with Luis’ Gomez.

One question: is Enid meant to be an actual werewolf or is she a werecat? It’s a little unclear to me. I really like the character.

Thomas Shey

Legend
J

One question: is Enid meant to be an actual werewolf or is she a werecat? It’s a little unclear to me. I really like the character.

A werewolf. Apparently in-world they have some pretty serious claws, and that's all she can manage. I do agree that even before the boatrace she projects a very catlike quality, though.

pukunui

Legend
A werewolf. Apparently in-world they have some pretty serious claws, and that's all she can manage. I do agree that even before the boatrace she projects a very catlike quality, though.
Exactly. And Wednesday even makes a quip about how Enid will only have 8 lives left if she does something …

Ryujin

Legend
Just started watching. Halfway through.

Jenna Ortega is perfect as Wednesday. I like everyone except Morticia and Gomez.

Catherine and Luis just don’t have the same chemistry that Anjelica and Raul had in the 90s movies. In fact, Catherine just comes across as uncomfortable in the role and, frankly, somewhat disgusted with Luis’ Gomez.

I figure they just brought in Catherine and Luis to add to the name draw for the show. They pretty much phone it in, in my opinion. That's OK, because they are a very minor part of the series.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don't think they're individually bad (and I think Catherine is a pretty reasonable Morticia), but I will admit they seem to lack the chemistry either of the two prior live-action versions of those characters had between them.

Though its legit to argue that Luis is a lot more like the character from the comic traditionally looks that either Astin or Julia; I'm just not sure how many people care (I don't).

pukunui

Legend
I’m really only familiar with the 90s movies, so Anjelica and Raul are the gold standard as far as I’m concerned. Normally I like Catherine ZJ but she’s definitely phoning it in here. Gave me a bit of tonal whiplash.

EDIT: I have just watched episode 5. Their performance was better there but I think I still prefer Raul and Anjelica.

Last edited:

I didn't like either of them. I think Guzman was especially bad (the only movie I remember enjoying him in was Carlitos Way and here he had zero charisma), and Catherine Zita Jones didn't seem like she was bringing any personality to the character. I do think the 90s films helped establish expectations. But I would have been fine with a John Astin style Gomez and Carolyn Jones style Morticia. But I think Raul Julia and Angelica Houston brought something special to those roles which was not even approached here.

pukunui

Legend
I didn't like either of them. I think Guzman was especially bad (the only movie I remember enjoying him in was Carlitos Way and here he had zero charisma), and Catherine Zita Jones didn't seem like she was bringing any personality to the character. I do think the 90s films helped establish expectations. But I would have been fine with a John Astin style Gomez and Carolyn Jones style Morticia. But I think Raul Julia and Angelica Houston brought something special to those roles which was not even approached here.
Having watched the whole show now, I think the show's creators were deliberately making Morticia and Gomez a bit cringe because that's how any teenage girl would see their parents' relationship, right? And I can appreciate that.

Emma Myers as Enid was a definite standout for me.

Remove ads