• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weight of a Petrified character?

Hannibal King

First Post
Geez this is driving me nuts! :confused: I have searched every for an answer to this question and I am 100% certain I of seen it answered before IN. THE. RULE. BOOKS!

Does anyone know what number you multiply a character's weight by who has been turned to stone? Hopefully someone can find the official ruling somewhere?

Thanks in advance.
Hannibal King

dcollins

Explorer
Hannibal King said:
Geez this is driving me nuts! :confused: I have searched every for an answer to this question and I am 100% certain I of seen it answered before IN. THE. RULE. BOOKS!

No, that is not in any of the core rulebooks. You'll have to reason it out using data such as wuyanei's above.

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
Okay the only place i really found info on this was on a frequently asked questions page for a website that sells rocks for outdoor gardens.

http://www.stoneyard.com/faq.html

Not sure why that link wont paste right. Hmm anyway just copy it into your browser.
But it says that granite wieghs 180 lbs per square foot. So just figure out how many square feet the character would be and multiply. This should easy be 600 or 700 lbs. Possibly more depending on the dimensions of the character.

LordSkull

First Post
Actually there is a minor mention in the DMG in the glossery (i think) discussing damage from falling objects of different weights. The example discusses a flying ship 100' up that drops a 400# statue (petrified companion). That is the only mention I have seen outside of non core books. I read about the weight limit of the beholders TK ray and it discussed throwing petrified PCs at the other PCs but that was not a core book.

Personally I would go with the 3x for simplicity sake. If we calculate that the DMG example was a typical human (150 - 200#) then the weight is 2 - 2.5 (rough math) greater BUT as we do not know if it was maybe a halfling or a half orc or fat human then we cannot gauge the actual weight modifyer from this example.

Also who is to say that the PC turns to granite? Could turn to marble, or Sandstone, or Pumice. In those cases actual stone type makes a difference in weight. Hell maybe even Gemstone has possibilitys. (Imagine trying to get a PC turned to ruby turned back? Everyone would be out to steal the PC or break pieces off him for material gain. Not to mention the party itself. Sorry Bob didn't think you needed ALL your fingers and toes)

boredgremlin

Banned
Banned
I think most of the denser rocks wiegh pretty much the same. Like granite is 180 per cubic foot. And bluestone is 167 per square foot. Even sandstone is pretty heavy. You would have small variations but it would all be one heavy statue. I dont think two or 3 times wieght covers it. Lol the gemstones would be cool but i think that would result in more wizards using the flesh to stone on little monsters like goblins whenever they started getting poor. It would throw the whole economy out of whack.

Whimsical

Explorer
The density tables list the mass in grams of one cubic centemeter of the material.

Here are the relevent values:

Water: ...............................1.0 (62.4 lbs/ft3)
Human body:........................1.07 (66.8 lbs/ft3)
Human body (lungs full of air): 0.98 - 1.09
Granite:...............................2.65 (165 lbs/ft3)

Since Density = Mass / Volume, we will use this formula to determine what the volume of a human body is by transforming the formula to Volume = Mass / Density.

Given a 200 lb. body, it's volume would be 200 lbs / 66.8 lbs/ft3, or 2.99 ft3. So 200 lbs of human body would fit in a 3 foot cube container (you would need to liquefy it first.).

Now that we know the volume, we determine how heavy that volume would be if it was granite instead of body...

Mass = Volume x Density
4,467 lbs = 3 ft3 x 165 lbs/ft3, which is 20.34 times heavier than the human body equivelent.

Anyone want to check my math? It's been a long while since I have done physics problems.

Remove ads