Welcome to the Game-Night Kitchen!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thank you for that one- CoB is one of my favorite soups!

There was a restaurant chain called Jojo's that had the "Peasant Lunch": unlimited bowls of CoB soup, 2 slices of buttered garlic toast, a heaping handfull of cubed cheddar, and a cored apple. Very tasty & filling.

(Sometimes, I'd add a side of fries.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This is my variant on my grandmother's ham & potato soup.

Creamy Creole Potato Soup

You will need:

5-8 small to medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes (don't get the tiny, salad sized ones)
1 lb Earl Cambell's Hot links (or other spicy sausage), cut into medallions
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 whole bulb of garlic, chopped
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 qt chicken stock
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup flour
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
1 can of Milk (see below)
1 bay leaf
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Thyme
Parsley

1) boil or bake your Yukon Gold potatoes

2) while that is going on, in a stock/soup pot, make a roux. That means, take about half of your butter, melt it over a low heat, and use it to brown your flour, slooooowly, with frequent stirring. If you find you are needing to stir constantly, turn your heat down and add a little butter. This is the only part that takes a lot of patience.

3) when your roux is golden to caramel brown, add the rest of your butter and the sausage medallions. Raise the pot temp to just between low & medium, and pan-sear your sausage medallions, stirring constantly.

4) when the sausage has browned, add your chicken stock, all of the onions & garlic, and the bay leaf. Add can of Cream of Celery soup, rinsing can with milk, and then add the milk. Add the other spices to taste. (We, being Creoles, like ours SPA-SAAYYY!).

5) by now, your potatoes should be cooked. Dice all but one, and add them to the pot. Mash the last one and hold it to the side.

6) Bring pot to a simmer, stirring often- this is a thick, dairy-filled soup so you don't want any scorching to occur!

7) add the final potato, mixing it in thoroughly, then turn off heat.

Serve with a side of buttered toast and a nice flavorful cheese- tonight, we used a Yancey's Fancy Smoked Gouda.

Serves at least 6 at 2 ladles/person.

Rune

Once A Fool
Dagnabbit, Danny! Tonight's recipe was going to be Cream of Potato & Bacon! Back to the kitchen to come up with another one, I guess...

Seriously, looks good, though.

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 28: Chocolate Covered Pretzels.

Well...I was all excited and ready to post a good ole Cream of Potato recipe and here comes Danny with one of his own. So...since Danny has provided the dinner, I'll provide the dessert. And this one's easy, too (assuming you don't make your own pretzels).

Here's what you'll need:
  • Pretzels (salted ones work best)
  • Chocolate

Melt the chocolate.

Put some water in a saucepan and cover this with a bowl that can withstand the heat. Put chocolate in the bowl and place on the burner. Heat until the chocolate is melted.

Dip the pretzels.

Rest a pretzel on a fork and dip it into the chocolate. Completely coat and then remove from the chocolate. Let the excess drain and then set the pretzel on a tray lined with wax paper. Repeat with other pretzels.

Chill.

Put your pretzels in the fridge to chill.

And there you have it! Until next week, good gaming, y'all!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dagnabbit, Danny! Tonight's recipe was going to be Cream of Potato & Bacon! Back to the kitchen to come up with another one, I guess...

Seriously, looks good, though.

The Cajun Ninja strikes- haaaiiiii-yahyeeeee!

Ain't nothing wrong with Cream of Potato & Bacon, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's an ingredient tip: look in your grocery's meat department for Flat Iron steak.

It's a flavorful, boneless cut that has a lot of versatility. I've been using it for stir fry, lately, and its the meat that Boston's uses for its Bacon wrapped steak appetizer w/blue cheese dip.

When I do the stir fry, I typically get a 1lb steak, and cut it into thirds. Like a typical stir fry, I do my veggies first, then set them aside. Then I quickly sear the flat iron to almost medium rare, then remove them. I return the veggies to the pot, along with whatever kind of sauce I'm using in the stir fry. While that is coming back up to heat, I cut the seared flat iron steak into slivers, then put them in the pot as well.

The result of a few minutes of cooking at medium to high heat is a nice beef stir fry with tender slivers of tender, medium rare steak. By this method, a 1lb Flat Iron serves at least 6. Economical, tasty, and healthy.

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 29: Meatloaf.

Meatloaf is a wonderful thing. Not just when it's fresh out of the oven, but also the next day, when you're scrounging around in the fridge for something to make a sandwich out of.

Moreover, the preparation is simple and it's ready in a couple of hours.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Ground beef, preferably lean
  • Crushed crackers or bread crumbs
  • Eggs
  • Onions
  • Bell peppers
  • Garlic
  • Ketchup and/or steak sauce
  • Salt
  • Black pepper

Mix it.

Preheat your oven to about 350 degrees.

Mix your ingredients together. You should have roughly a fifth of a sleeve of crackers or a like amount of bread crumbs and roughly one egg per pound of meat. The amount of other ingredients you should include can vary according to taste.

Mold it.

Pack the mixture tightly into a deep pan and create a moat around the edge between the pan's sides and the meatloaf. Add a little water to this moat. Glaze the top of the meatloaf with ketchup or steak sauce. Cover with aluminum foil, tented so as not to touch the meat. Bake for about two hours (or until the meat has reached an internal temperature of at least 155 degrees).

If desired, you can drain the grease off of the meatloaf about halfway through the cooking process.

Let the meatloaf rest for a few minutes after removing it from the oven before serving.

Until next time, good gaming, y'all.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
Episode 30: Shepherd's Pie.

Sometimes a good casserole is simply the most delicious way to feed a group of people and one of the simplest and most delicious of all casseroles is the humble shepherd's pie. Not only that, but if you have leftover vegetables in the fridge (particularly, mashed potatoes, peas or carrots). I also like to use left over pot roast, instead of ground beef, when I've got it.

Here's what you'll need:
  • Potatoes
  • Milk
  • Butter or margarine
  • Sour cream
  • Ground beef (or left over pot roast)
  • Onions
  • Seasonings
  • Vegetables
  • Shredded cheese

Start with the potatoes.

If you haven't already got some mashed, peel and boil some potatoes (preferably starchy ones). When they are soft enough to break apart with a spoon, drain them and then mash them with some sour cream, milk, butter or margarine, salt, pepper, and whatever other seasoning you like.

Cook the beef.

If you haven't already got some beef ready, brown some ground beef. Add in some chopped onion for flavor and season as desired. Mix your vegetables in with the ground beef when you are finished cooking it.

Throw it all together.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees or so. Grease a casserole dish and layer the bottom with your meat and vegetables. Spread the potatoes over the top and top it all with a layer of the cheese. Bake it until the cheese on top is crispy and golden.

Remove the shepherd's pie from the oven and let it rest for a moment before serving.

...And that's it for this time! Until next time, good gaming, y'all!

Rune

Once A Fool
Well, we're back. All links in the table of contents are now fixed (as well as links within my posts throughout the thread).

More recipes to follow!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In that case:

Spiked Eggnog:

Buy eggnog. Pour some in glass. Add any one (or 2, if you are adventurous):

1) Frangelico Hazelnut liqour

2) Kahluha coffee liqour

3) Seagram's Stone Cherry liqour

4) Buffalo Trace or Wild Turkey whiskey