• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
What does one have to do with the other?
If you have a con policy of "accusation is essentially expulsion," you reduce the risk of sexual assault, and you also apparently get some stuff like [MENTION=6756765]Rygar[/MENTION] pointed out (assuming, as I generally do, that those people aren't just lying to get attention and push an agenda).

Why can't we say and wear what we want but ALSO not let rape or any physical assault happen...what if the rapes says the right words...then it's ok for your daughter to get raped since he didn't say something wrong first?
Because the world's not a perfect place. Innocent people get hurt. Sometimes, we can choose which innocent people and how hurt, but until people stop being awful, innocent people will always get hurt.

Lehrbuch

First Post
What criteria do you use to tell the difference? This is probably way beyond this thread but in my case I had competing diagnosis. When I was a kid It was thought I was autstic but then the psychologist that said that died and the next 3 all said it was justndepresion and I needed to go make fri3new a and one that my mom tried to sue told us I would get over it after I had my first girlfriend...

And again if I say hi it could be sexiest if I say it the wrong way or if too many others have said hi...at least according to the thread so far.

Rest assured that no one wants to throw you out of a con for simply saying "hi" the wrong way. I realise it could be hard for you, but try not to get alarmed about the possibility. There is a huge difference between somebody being socially awkward (for whatever reason) and thus accidentally seeming a bit weird, and somebody who is being an intentional creep / sexist pig / et al.

Obviously, it can be difficult to gauge intent, but that is why the conversation is about respect and care for each other. Which means respect and care both for women generally, and for socially awkward men (or women), and for men generally, and for people of different ethnicity, and so forth.

Talk to people at cons, try to make friends. Trust that you won't cause offense. However, also trust that if you do accidentally cause some slight offence, rest-assured that you will be given a chance to explain. Trust that people who have genuine respect and care for others will accept a genuine explanation.

Why would any care about the third LotR movie or the stupid video game thing and why would we not want all gamers feeling welcome

Just so we're clear, Rygar was linking to an article on a site run by Roosh V, who also runs Return of Kings, a disgustingly misogynistic website promoting views like "no means no until it means yes" and "top 5 reasons to date a girl with an eating disorder!" He's also the organizer of International Fat Shaming week! A real prince of humanity, and clearly an excellent counter argument.

Basically it's like linking an article by, I dunno, David Duke of the KKK to make a point on why we don't need anti-discrimination laws.

Taneras

First Post
The past is why there are existing inequalities.

Duh. But you mentioned this as if it were a roadblock to my suggestion (treat everyone equal) being unable to reach equality today. What does the past have to do with fixing equality today? If it has nothing to do with this issue, then lets disregard it. The way to fix people being treated differently today is for everyone to be treated equally. That's my claim. You've tried the nirvana fallacy and now a pointless, unless you make the connection, distraction about past inequalities. What else do you have?

Fundamentally, because "male only" tables are socially-retarded idiocy, in the context of the gaming community. Especially if the main/only argument for having a "male only" table is "because it is reasonable to have women only tables and Men Must Be Equal".

My question was "What do the fact that some men are "socially-retarded idiots" have to do with disallowing male only tables?"

Your answer was "Fundamentally, because "male only" tables are socially-retarded idiocy, in the context of the gaming community."

Do you really think you answered that question?

The world is more complicated and nuanced than you imagine.

I'm merely going off of your own criteria. The only thing you listed was minority and majority.

Having "adult only" tables isn't only about excluding a minority. The main point of "adult only" (and "children") tables is that adults and children and teens have different interests, have different expectations about what should occur in a game, different expectations about game pacing, different capabilities to handle game mechanics and role-play, different comprehension capabilities. We all know this. The point of "adult-only" tables is that adults are children are not equal.

That argument doesn't apply when thinking about gender.

Ok, so since the genders are equal then there's no reason for gendered only tables?

And no, this isn't about men and sexism in the gaming community because that'd be going back on what you just said...

It's not because of sexism, it is because men are the majority, in the gaming community. It is inappropriate to set up circumstances whereby the majority can exclude the minority.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taneras

First Post
Yeah, no. We've been finished with this particular social embarrassment for months, now. The discussion around Gamergate is over, and its legacy is not what you want it to be. Time to move on.

And you've clearly made the wrong distinctions if you wholeheartedly agree that all gamergaters should be forced out of gaming circles by social pressure.

Just so we're clear, Rygar was linking to an article on a site run by Roosh V, who also runs Return of Kings, a disgustingly misogynistic website promoting views like "no means no until it means yes" and "top 5 reasons to date a girl with an eating disorder!" He's also the organizer of International Fat Shaming week! A real prince of humanity, and clearly an excellent counter argument.

Basically it's like linking an article by, I dunno, David Duke of the KKK to make a point on why we don't need anti-discrimination laws.
Holy :):):):)... I need to not look this stuff up...this is insane...

Taneras

First Post
It's just such a weird and bizarre coincidence that their favorite (usually female) targets also received the most vicious harassment, isn't it? Crazy world we live in, all these coincidences.

You don't even know who I'm talking about or what videos I'm talking about, so how can you even make such a statement?

You know what might help? An open conversation about what they can do to stop the harassm- oh never mind. That's what you guys have problems with over here! Just another weird coincidence, though, I'm sure.

I never said I did have a problem with an open conversation about harassment. In fact I've already said that this has raised awareness in me and I'm going to be trying to explain the importance of reporting incidents of harassment even if it didn't happen to you.

Two swings and two misses.

Jeanneliza

First Post
I was out for the day and I just saw this. I lost my youngest brother to suicide when he was 25, back in 1988. Bullying was a problem then, and is some what worse now in my opinion, with the anonymity of the internet giving courage to the bullies. I mentioned in a way earlier post on this thread, those who wouldn't speak up for any of the minorities would they stand for one of their own. I play RPG's online with a VTT and VoIP. It is the only way I have ever played. The community that is primary for this VTT is still somewhat small by internet standards and there are many smaller fan and gaming goups that particpate there as well. I was introduced to RPG's by a friend who had been gaming since his teens January 2014. This friend of 8 years and his friends were pretty awful in thei rgaming environment to outsiders, I left after 9 months. But because they were involved in the larger community I kept an eye on them. Last spring I became aware of an incident, and I have documented it with screen shots and such of them bullying a young white male, 25 years old. I saw his response to them on their Facebook page, and after my brothers death I got involved in suicide prevention. I saw a number of warning flags in his post, and another he made on the larger forum. I contacted him by private message, told him nothing more than I saw what had happened, I knew the bullies involved and that others, including myself had been bullied by that group. I just wanted to let him know he was not alone in his experience, to validate it, and let him know others SAW.
He contacted me back, he had not put a gun to his head, he HAD blown up his computer. I had mentioned I had screenshots of the threads involving the bullying and even in text I could almost hear the tearful pleas, to please send it to the forum moderators if I could. I did so and let him know that, and also assured him that if he decided to return there to run or look for games to contact me, that I had a habit of keeping an eye on this group for my own sense of safety. He did return a few months later, but I believe eventually moved his players to a more private server like google chat or skype, because he was still fairly fearful the bullies could start again. People, whether in face to face public conventions or online, unless you are playing with people you know personally you do NOT know their mental state, what they may be coping with and trying to get a few hours break in a game. It is not that hard to be kind to people, in a world where you can be anything you want to be.
Harassment, including sexual harassment are other words for bullying, for a weak person to feel powerful for a short time by exercising some level of control over another. They always target those who in their view are most vulnerable, least likely to speak or be believed if they do. It can only end when all of us have 0 tolerance for bullying no matter who the victim is, no matter what form it takes.
Sorry for your loss.

Obryn

Hero
You don't even know who I'm talking about or what videos I'm talking about, so how can you even make such a statement?

I never said I did have a problem with an open conversation about harassment. In fact I've already said that this has raised awareness in me and I'm going to be trying to explain the importance of reporting incidents of harassment even if it didn't happen to you.

Two swings and two misses.
I'm really not in a "NOT ALL GAMERGATERS" mood.

But go ahead and ask them what can be done to stop the harassment of Anita Sarkeesian and see how far you get before outright misogyny. :)

Holy :):):):)... I need to not look this stuff up...this is insane...

I was happier in ignorance. Unfortunately that also also leads to a culture of avoiding addressing the ugly parts of fandom head on.

If some of those guys left the hobby, it would cause a small dip in numbers, but over time, making it more welcoming to the other 51% will lead to a lot more gamers. Most fanfic writers are women. It's also been at least my experience women make up a larger percent of RP'ers in online MMO's. It's always been a bit baffling why there arent more women in gaming, but the more I see of the culture, the more it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads