We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

Dannager

First Post
You told me the reason behind the attempts at resolution was to have a successful convention.

What if 60% of the people at a convention do not want to allow a woman only table top session, 30% didn't care either way, and 10% wanted to allow it, and the 60% got their way (preventing women only sessions), is the convention a success?

The guidelines I described are for resolving harassment claims. I'm not sure what you're trying to show, here.

Jeanneliza

First Post
Considering that the person who came in here to tell us about why her and her friends were attempting to create an all female table top group painted the picture that the vast majority of the community was against it, that would seem like a successful event. Would it not? When you have the vast majority pleased with how things are currently being run, ignoring whether or not its being run right or wrong, that seems to point towards a successful event.

I was THAT person, and I never said the vast majority of the community was against it. ONE very vocal jerk opposed it, rewrote my words, a few offered HIM passive support, the VAST majority stayed silent, while the silent supporters of the one vocal person boycotted my events, BECAUSE NO ONE WANTED TO DISRUPT THE event to address the issue. Better to isolate the victim and let the harrassers stay and we can sort the facts afterwards. Since that was the case, raising hell myself at that point would have compounded my problems.

Taneras

First Post
The guidelines I described are for resolving harassment claims.

Yes, with the goal of resolving these claims being a successful convention. Which brought me to that question dealing with whether or not a convention was successful or not.

I'm not sure what you're trying to show, here.

60% of the people at a convention do not want to allow a woman only table top session, 30% didn't care either way, and 10% wanted to allow it, and the 60% got their way (preventing women only sessions), is the convention a success?

This is a simple question. I think you're smart enough to understand where this is going and are refusing to answer because you don't want to inject a concept you've been railing against for 20+ pages (fairness/justice/whatever you want to label it) in an attempt to defend the 10% who want female only tables.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taneras

First Post
I was THAT person, and I never said the vast majority of the community was against it. ONE very vocal jerk opposed it, rewrote my words, a few offered HIM passive support, the VAST majority stayed silent, while the silent supporters of the one vocal person boycotted my events, BECAUSE NO ONE WANTED TO DISRUPT THE event to address the issue. Better to isolate the victim and let the harrassers stay and we can sort the facts afterwards. Since that was the case, raising hell myself at that point would have compounded my problems.

My mistake, I was wrong. I thought I had read that the silent people were still against it but remained silent. Thanks for the correction. Still, though, that doesn't affect my hypothetical question as it's hypothetical and not a reflection of an actual event.

Jeanneliza

First Post
My mistake, I was wrong. I thought I had read that the silent people were still against it but remained silent. Thanks for the correction. Still, though, that doesn't affect my hypothetical question as it's hypothetical and not a reflection of an actual event.

Yes please do stay with the hypotheticals with offering no opinion with an actual current event. Therein lies the problem, while people are arguing against disruption, dwelling on theoreticals actual people are being actually harassed into leaving a hobby that ,sorry perhaps my training in theater inspired a greater passion more quickly than is wont,but I truly do love and will miss. It is painful to know I may never be able to play again. So now you are not talking hypotheticals and when you misquote me to support your hypothetical you did the exact same thing the one hostile jerk did. Instead of facing real current suffering you hide in theoreticals. Please continue I won't burst your bubble.

Taneras

First Post
Yes please do stay with the hypotheticals with offering no opinion with an actual current event.

I said this a while ago (Post #378).

I'm sorry for your experience, and the experiences of the women you're speaking about. It's not acceptable and I do think something needs to be done. I agree, our hobby isn't about excluding groups of people based off characteristics they cannot control (race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.). And I'm pretty sure most of the people who are being told that we're part of the problem in this thread feel the same way. My current group has two women in it and honestly its a bit more enjoyable than my previous all male groups as they bring different personalities and perspectives to the table.

That said, I think we need to focus on behavior and not gender here. Bad behavior is bad behavior regardless of gender. Lets focus to reduce bad behavior and not focus on genders, races, ages, sexual orientations, or anything of that sort.

and when you misquote me to support your hypothetical you did the exact same thing the one hostile jerk did.

The misquote wasn't intentional I simply misread and I don't appreciate the condemning tone. I didn't do the exact same thing as that one jerk, I have no issue with all women tables at all. I simply misread something you typed, that doesn't make me a bad person.

Jeanneliza

First Post
So tell me then how do I address the bad behavior here without getting labeled a drama queen or attention seeker? How do I do this and ignore the fact that all those behind this were of one gender, and those who were shut out of a game or too intimidated to participate, or felt it was just not worth playing there once it was made clear by even a few they were not WANTED there were a different gender? How do I ignore the fact in defending myself that his argument was that by merely offering a single womens game with the pre-approval or the organizers, that I was painting a picture of the community as toxic/unsafe and that women needed a safe place? When not once in the over the year I have been active there have I ever said or suggested such a thing? Those were HIS words not mine.

MechaPilot

Explorer
This would certainly help, but it isn't enough on its own. Many places won't have them in place, coverage angles probably won't be ideal, audio will be lost in the noise of con halls which means this does little or nothing to address evidence of verbal harassment, etc. It's one step among many that needs to be taken.

As I see it, the only way to lessen the problem is to make sure the people who harass/assault others are caught. That means collecting proof, and that means cameras and microphones, and increased security.

Outside of A) enabling collection of proof, B) having an on-site police presence so complaints of sexual assault (and other crimes) can be dealt with directly by authorities, and C) spreading awareness about the issue so that female attendees know the risks, we really do have to rely on the community policing itself by doing the things that I described earlier:

1) Don't harass or assault people yourself.

2) Be more alert for those who are harassing or assaulting others.

3) If you see/hear harassment or assault, do not tolerate it in your presence.

4) Cooperate with security/police when they ask you about harassment or an assault that you may have witnessed. If you didn't witness it, make sure you tell the security/police officer that you "didn't see it," not that it "didn't happen."

Taneras

First Post
So tell me then how do I address the bad behavior here without getting labeled a drama queen or attention seeker?

Unfortunately you can't, you'll never convince 100% of any community that's this large. This is going to sound incredibly sappy and lame but just do your best. Ask others to help you. Perhaps you missed it but I've stated that I'm going to be trying to encourage people to speak out and report incidents even if it didn't happen to them. So you've raised awareness with me.

How do I do this and ignore the fact that all those behind this were of one gender

Maybe I'm misquoting again, and if I am I'm sorry. But didn't you say that out of the 200 or 300 only five or six were female? The group that you've labeled "all those behind this" was also a small amount of people. It's no coincidence that if you have the vast majority of a large event be male (95+%) that if you pick out 5 or 10 that they'll all be male. Maybe even if you had a 50/50 split in genders you'd still end up with only males disagreeing with all female tables but I doubt that. Demographics don't all think alike and I'm sure there would be some females that might be against the idea of limiting a table to whats between your legs. Likewise, I'm sure there were plenty of males there that had no issue with an all woman's table, but just didn't speak up. And that's not giving them a pass, they should have spoke up about it if that's how they felt. I'm just pointing out that that "one gender" was also likely in support of you - they should have just said so.

That said, there's nothing wrong with simply labeling the gender/race/age/whatever of the people who harassed you out of the event. You're labeling those people as male didn't bother me. My issue with gender had to do with the original article.

How do I ignore the fact in defending myself that his argument was that by merely offering a single womens game with the pre-approval or the organizers, that I was painting a picture of the community as toxic/unsafe and that women needed a safe place? When not once in the over the year I have been active there have I ever said or suggested such a thing? Those were HIS words not mine.

I gotcha, I'm with you 100%. I don't think women wanting to have their own table top group suggests that the community is toxic/unsafe, it could be any number of reasons and honestly I don't think yall should have even needed to explain your reasons in the first place. It should have been an automatic yes.

Lehrbuch

First Post
This adoption snowballs into my own preferences, my game world, and my own acting ability at the table. For example, I'm incapable of role-playing a transgender person. Worse, I might buy an adventure and discover that the mayor of town X has been scripted as Y lifestyle so now I'm forced to play a lifestyle not only alien to me, but unsettling to me on a personal level... and if I "do it wrong" I cause offense.

I'm struggling to see what the great difficulty is with role-playing, say, a transgender (N)PC. We are trying to role-play a complete persona. Which depending on our own preferences it might be a more or less complete or detailed persona, but it certainly will be a whole lot more than just gender identification.

I suppose a transgender (N)PC might have some goals around accessing polymorph magic, but not necessarily. Otherwise she should have the same sorts of goals, motivations, reactions as any other (N)PC, which depend on background, alignment, and circumstance. Role-playing a transgender (N)PC is not really any different to role-playing a cisgender one.

To use your example, if you are role-playing the transgender mayor of town X, then her political goals and alliances, loyalty to her town, tolerance for corruption, and so forth are not really going to be any different are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases