D&D 5E Werewolves and Liches - Help with Princes of the Apocalypse

SuperTD

Explorer
So, my party are entering the sacred stone monastery for the second time (previously they were level one and just briefly explored the top level before legging it. Now they are level 5, and have dealt with Rivergard Keep, the water temple, Feathergale Spire (kind of), and the Sacred Stone Monks (kind of). The way things shook out with some improv from myself, the monks made an assault on Feathergale Spire, and both sides lost a lot. At this point that the characters are back at the moastery, the top floor has been abandoned apart from Renwick the Lich.

While dealing with Jollivar, the sorcerer was infected with lycanthropy. They chose the night of the full moon to go into the monastery, because they hoped that they could point the character at any enemies and all would be well. This will be the characters first transformation.

As well as this, the newest character to the party has just died to an 8th level glyph of warding placed on the door to Renwick's private quarters. Despite being told repeatedly by the others that there was a lich in there (they spoke briefly with him on the first trip) the character though that since everyone else had gone he might have as well. After failing some perception checks listening at doors (the undead don't tend to snore...) he tried to bust open the door and was knocked unconcious. The party stabilized him, but Renwick wandered out and asked for the character to be left with him for some experiments. Naturall, the party agreed, apologized and left.

So my question. With one character left alone with a lich and one turning into a wereboar, how do I handle this so everyone still has fun? The unconscious character I'm thinking might get placed under a geas by the Lich and asked to do a certain task - something that will let him carry on with the party but require him to do his own thing at the same time. Collect some rare ingredients or books the lich wants perhaps? As for the wearboar, I don't want the to turn, lose all control of their character and do nothing for the session. How can I have them turn but keep them interested and able to make choices?

Thanks for any tips!

TLDR - How to entertain a party with a werewolf and a character under the control of a Lich in?

Rhenny

Adventurer
Your idea for the Lich seems like a good solution.

With the wearboar, I think you have to have him roleplay the change and realize that it is a curse he'll want to get rid of. I'd have him change and tell him to attack his companions; basically make him play the monster. The others will have to render him unconscious or restrain him and get help removing the curse.

In my campaign, the half orc fighter in the party got hurt when they fought Joliver, but he kept making his con save. The player wanted to become a wearboar to get the resistances, but he rolled too well. That's when I thought about forcing the wearboar to become a true monster if changed. The bonuses gained as a wearboar would unbalance his pc if he were allowed to control the affliction.

Croesus

Adventurer
Renwick (the lich) has prepared a tomb for his long-dead brother, currently interred with the Knights of Samular in Summit Hall. The perfect geas would be to safely bring his brother's body to Renwick. Not an easy quest, but one that makes sense for the lich, and might lead the party to some interesting negotiations with the Knights.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases