• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E We've had dragons, elementals, and demons - so what iconic evil is next?

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Anyone have a link to this post? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I've not seen the tweet myself.

No link, however, the final paragraph of Princes of the Apocalypse hints at it. I wonder if that means that Sasquatch will do GDQ...that will make me happy.

cmad1977

Hero
I think the next iconic evils will be
1: Rules Lawyers
The land is beset by groups of people poring through ancient texts and arguing that RAW they can hide behind a trunk while being observed.
2: The Needers
Various cults spring up in the sword coast clamoring for things the land 'needs' when in reality it is only that small cult that wants said thing. Every cult 'needs' something else.

JeffB

Legend
I think the next iconic evils will be
1: Rules Lawyers
The land is beset by groups of people poring through ancient texts and arguing that RAW they can hide behind a trunk while being observed.
2: The Needers
Various cults spring up in the sword coast clamoring for things the land 'needs' when in reality it is only that small cult that wants said thing. Every cult 'needs' something else.

RAGE OF NERDS is the working title of the next AP.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I've heard folks say Giants/Shakespeare being a thing. I haven't seen any tweets about it either

hints in what way?

Uhhhhh..... *digginoutbooks* Page 147

"The next time the Elder Elemental Eye stirs in the Dessarin Valley, it doesn’t choose relative newcomers like humans to do its bidding. It turns to the drow, who built it a shrine beneath the Sumber Hills thousands of years ago. The drow cult rises again, returns to the Fane of the Eye, and starts undermining drow society. If the drow fall under the sway of Elemental Evil, the surface world will need experienced characters to face this new threat."

Come to think of it...Out of the Abyss is about the Drow, too, so two stories about the drow probably won't be done, as sad as that will make me. But it would make it easier for someone to convert GDQ, using the established area from Princes.

Gaea Games

First Post
Undead. Vecna comes to the Realms. Cultists want him to disrupt Mystra, Azoun or Velsharoon's portfolio.

That would be cool. My most major 2E game (where I first DMed D&D) involved the Hand of Vecna and a very, VERY thinly-veiled LOTR pastiche. It was perhaps not original, but it was fun.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Others have already covered mindflayers, which was my first thought. Possibly a mindflayer/githyanki conflict, with the players caught in the crossfire.

There are other things, though. Cthulhuloid abberations from the Far Realm (or whatever the 5e equivalent would be). Slaadi. Perhaps something more "mundane." Or focusing on a particular setting--Ravenloft would make a lot of sense.

I suspect GDQ, because, IIRC, there was some sort of twitter post about working on something about giants.

Forgive my ignorance: what, or who, is GDQ?

Remove ads