WFRP New Enemy Within Chapter: The Horned Rat by Cubicle 7

TheSword

Legend
Cubicle 7 have finally caught up with their re-release of the first 3 parts to the seminal Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaign: The Enemy Within. It’s a campaign full of secretive cults, corrupt nobles, scheming wizards, noble intrigue and boats... lots of boats.

A brand new part four has been released, more in keeping with the original three episodes than the hasty and ill favored ‘Something Rotten in Kislev’ which bore very little relevance to the previous plot.

4D037B72-7D1E-4F6F-A69A-341084027E2E.jpeg

The Horned Rat is instead a deep delve into the intrigues of the devious skaven. Complete with doomsday weapons, treks through sewers and corrupt human cults in the city of Middenheim. While Power Behind the Throne deals with Middenheim’s glamorous nobility, Horned Rat opens up its seedy underbelly.

It’s been released now for pre-order with the PDF available straight away. First read, suggests it’s awesome. A brilliant continuation to one of the best Fantasy RPG campaigns of history.

5BE4B628-4ACF-4CB8-A5B7-77B45D7E6757.jpeg

The Horned Rat Companion should be released in the next few weeks and the final installment, Empire in Ruins later this year!

Pretty amazing that Cubicle 7 have been able to get back one of the original writers from 35 years ago... Graeme Davis.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
I've picked up the PDF, but I haven't read it thoroughly yet. I am just collecting the books (and companion volumes). I've pretty much resigned that I'm never going to be able to run it, but it's still a good read and the art is fantastic.

TheSword

Legend
I've picked up the PDF, but I haven't read it thoroughly yet. I am just collecting the books (and companion volumes). I've pretty much resigned that I'm never going to be able to run it, but it's still a good read and the art is fantastic.
No WFRP group?

I actually think it can be repurposed for 5e relatively easily. There is a surprising lot of magic in the Enemy Within so I think it can be adapted for a D&D style campaign.

I’ve ran Shadows over Bogenhafen a few times in D&D as a 3rd/4th level adventure and I think it works ok.

If anything they would be far more RP based than the typical campaign so if you ditch monster XP I think it could work.

Retreater

Legend
No WFRP group?

I actually think it can be repurposed for 5e relatively easily. There is a surprising lot of magic in the Enemy Within so I think it can be adapted for a D&D style campaign.

I’ve ran Shadows over Bogenhafen a few times in D&D as a 3rd/4th level adventure and I think it works ok.

If anything they would be far more RP based than the typical campaign so if you ditch monster XP I think it could work.
Yes. No WFRP group and no easy way to introduce it to groups online, having to learn new mechanics and a new VTT at the same time. Plus roleplaying, story, etc., have all tended to suffer playing online as well. On top of that, I'm not crazy about the system in general (I find it needlessly convoluted).
So if I could repurpose it as a 5e adventure, that's got possibilities.

TheSword

Legend
Yes. No WFRP group and no easy way to introduce it to groups online, having to learn new mechanics and a new VTT at the same time. Plus roleplaying, story, etc., have all tended to suffer playing online as well. On top of that, I'm not crazy about the system in general (I find it needlessly convoluted).
So if I could repurpose it as a 5e adventure, that's got possibilities.
It would be a lot less bloody, and a lot less swingy but I think the campaign does a pretty good job of introducing the world to your players if they’re new to the old world.

I would just repurpose it as a straight up 5e campaign and not try to worry too much about capturing the feel of the WFRP system... dangerous magic, careers etc.

I would make human enemies pretty tough, and beef up all the bad guys. Start at level 1 in the Coach and Horses. Level 3 by the time they reach Bogenhafen then run 2 levels per book. 3-5 for Shadows over Bogenhafen, 5-7 for Death on the Reik, 7-9 in Power Behind the Throne (which is much crunchier now) and 9-11 for Horned Rat.

The kinds of things the party are being asked to do in each book would fit I think. Possibly slow down levelling if that is too much.

Magic items would need a complete work in, or skipping entirely. Either could work depending on the party. Ban full caster classes if you want a more low magic effect though if you don’t go above level 13 teleport shouldn’t come into play.

Tantavalist

Explorer
If you don't have people willing to play the WFRP system then maybe you could sell them on Worlds Without Number? It's similar enough to D&D with Levels, Classes and Hit Dice but has a simpler system that's a little more lethal than 5e which makes it a better fit for WFRP in my eyes. WWN has a free edition with everything you'd need for the conversion.

Anyway, I'm very happy to see The Horned Rat come out. I've been buying the previous books to support the line and because my old 1e Enemy Within books have been getting a little worn over the years. But I won't deny that it's good to know that from this point pretty much everything for 4e is going to be new material.

TheSword

Legend
If you don't have people willing to play the WFRP system then maybe you could sell them on Worlds Without Number? It's similar enough to D&D with Levels, Classes and Hit Dice but has a simpler system that's a little more lethal than 5e which makes it a better fit for WFRP in my eyes. WWN has a free edition with everything you'd need for the conversion.

Anyway, I'm very happy to see The Horned Rat come out. I've been buying the previous books to support the line and because my old 1e Enemy Within books have been getting a little worn over the years. But I won't deny that it's good to know that from this point pretty much everything for 4e is going to be new material.
It is good. I’ve loved reading the 12 Ubersreik Adventures that have been released so far and find them really quirky and clever.

Retreater

Legend
Unfortunately, our previous GM was not particularly skilled at running OSR games, so that group is likely going to be soured on any version of old-school, streamlined, etc., D&D forever.

Retreater

Legend
Big fan of these re-issues. Between the new content in the main books and in the companions it's all really well made stuff. WFRP is in the best shape it's been in since the Hogshead days.
How do you think it plays? I've played one session at a Con, and it seemed easy because a GM was taking care of all the rules. Then I tried to run it myself for two very short sessions, and it was -almost- a disaster. Very confusing to me, which is why I would want to convert it to a different system.
If I can't understand it, my players have no shot of grasping it.

Remove ads