• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I still just don't get how people don't see generational shifts in gaming.

World of Warcraft has a kingdom of trolls who use Mayan inspired architecture, Caribbean religion, and have West African accents and ride dinosaurs.

You'd never see that back in the day.
Dinosaurs were all the rage back in the day.

Zardnaar

Legend

World of Warcraft has a kingdom of trolls who use Mayan inspired architecture, Caribbean religion, and have West African accents and ride dinosaurs.

It's not that there's no market for that but if it's worth while doing. Different format/genre as well.

Also WoW a lot smaller than what it used to be.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And if we went full bore against cultural appropriation we still wouldn't have those today.

I really don't think cultural appropriation itself was really the problem that many state.

It's more that game designers in the 70s, 80s, and 90s offered shallow versions of the cultural elements. A lot of cultural integration back then was cursory, uninspired, and weak mechanically.

I'm sure if it wasn't frequently suboptimal or shallow, people would have given it a pass.

Derren

Hero
Dinosaurs are forever cool. Anyone who has different belongs in the loony bin.

But Mesoamerican-African Troll Paladins riding dinosaurs in the name of Trex god and Fake Baron Samedi?

Right. Back in the day we only had Mesoamerican Lizardman barbarians riding dinosaurs in the name of frog mummies. (Warhammer Fantasy)

World of Warcraft was released sixteen years ago, before today's 20yo gamers could read.
It IS from back in the day.

-edit-
Also... trolls speak with a Jamaican accent...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads