• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
To talk to the OP;

Medieval Europe is by far the biggest inspiration for D&D. After all, half of the name is dragons, and it is more specifically the Medieval Europe interpretation of dragons that is so prominent (dragons being very very bad).

It's also tied to how so many interpretations of faerie tales being tied to Medieval Europe (whether or not they actually were). The classic "Save the Princess in the tower" is the classic fantasy adventure.

That said, just because that is "vanilla" D&D, doesn't mean people are stuck there. Clearly recent releases are giving people options to do whatever stories, in whatever setting inspiration they want.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yes, that's what I was alluding to. DMG has some slight rules (which I should probably go read again if I continue to talk about it in this thread), but my recollection is they are pretty hand-wavey. Which could be ok for some games/settings, for others maybe not so much.

That's more or less it. D&D rarely goes more than a slight touch into firearms. Same with Asian, American, and other cultures. D&D only tips it's toes in new ideas and that's how you accidentally cause offense or get stale.

I know 5e is a nostalgia edition but Come on. Is it gonna take Mercer clones and MTG supplements for D&D to expand itself?

Why doesn't D&D have it's Fake Western Europe kingdoms have wars with Fake East Coast North America and their cataphracts of magical copper and magical furs and War Stag stress. All while the Fake Incan and Fake Maori shake their heads as the Fake Vikings attack from the South.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's more or less it. D&D rarely goes more than a slight touch into firearms. Same with Asian, American, and other cultures. D&D only tips it's toes in new ideas and that's how you accidentally cause offense or get stale.

I know 5e is a nostalgia edition but Come on. Is it gonna take Mercer clones and MTG supplements for D&D to expand itself?

Why doesn't D&D have it's Fake Western Europe kingdoms have wars with Fake East Coast North America and their cataphracts of magical copper and magical furs and War Stag stress. All while the Fake Incan and Fake Maori shake their heads as the Fake Vikings attack from the South.

1. It's not what players seem to want.

2. Lots if potential problems there.

As for the generation thing. Older people have more money under normal circumstances. There's what 30 million unemployed Americans atm that's gonna hurt the young more. Young people being more likely to have jobs in hospitality, less cash, less assets such as houses. It's the millennials followed by the zoomers who are gonna get hurt the most.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1. It's not what players seem to want.

2. Lots if potential problems there.

As for the generation thing. Older people have more money under normal circumstances. There's what 30 million unemployed Americans atm that's gonna hurt the young more. Young people being more likely to have jobs in hospitality, less cash, less assets such as houses.

1) Proof?

2) What problems?

According to the stats Morrus provided, over 35% of D&D is Millennials who have money. And Millennials areal lot more worldly in their gaming tastes. There is a clear shift in culturalism in video and board gaming around the time Millennials entered the workforce.

There is so many North American, South American, African, Asian, Australian, and Oceanian influences in all types of gaming now.

It's a generational thing. It wont make money in the 90s. It makes dough in the 10s.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
As for the generation thing. Older people have more money under normal circumstances. There's what 30 million unemployed Americans atm that's gonna hurt the young more. Young people being more likely to have jobs in hospitality, less cash, less assets such as houses. It's the millennials followed by the zoomers who are gonna get hurt the most.

Personally, I'm much happier as a young person seeing my retirement tank today when I don't need it, compared to the seniors and near-retirees who are suddenly realizing they may need to work 5 more years to have enough income to live.

Zardnaar

Legend
Personally, I'm much happier as a young person seeing my retirement tank today when I don't need it, compared to the seniors and near-retirees who are suddenly realizing they may need to work 5 more years to have enough income to live.

A few of them will own their own houses though. It's will suck more for older ones who don't.

Mortage finished in January that's a huge advantage even if we both end up on welfare or 0 income.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads