D&D General What’s The Big Deal About Psionics?

I mean divine magic is 'just spells'. But we have a separate cleric class. Nature magic is 'just spells' but we have a separate druid class.

Psionics has an even bigger excuse to be different as it's not historically used the vancian casting spell slot system, but for some reason it's now just shoved into subclasses.

Even the sorcerer gets its own class, and it's a discount wizard with a feat glued to it.

If it's all 'just spells' why not axe the warlock, sorcerer, druid, bard, and cleric. And make a single 'magic user' class. It's all just the same magic right?

Yaarel

He Mage
They’re just different spells. They’re spells, but from a different source and maybe a lil weird, but not really that special. Near as I can tell. I am sure I’m missing something because every time Dark Sun comes up there’s a grip ton of hand wringing about getting Psionics right. It just seems like spells to me. Spells with a different but not much different rule system. Sorcerer, but with unique spells. I don’t get why it’s a big deal and why it’s not just a different spell list. Help me understand. Or confirm, it’s just spells With a new name.

According to the 5e designers, psionics is a power source, like arcane and divine are.

Any power source can do an effect that is a spell, do an effect that isnt a spell but is magical, and do an effect that is nonmagical.

In 5e we see examples of psionic spells, such as the "innate spellcasting" of certain subclasses and monsters. We also see psionic class features that are magic but not spells.

Yaarel

He Mage
For a setting like Forgotten Realms, psionics is magic because it manipulates the "Weave", namely the capacity of magic that exists within all things.

Altho the mind and brain are nonmagical, the Weave itself is psychosensitive and responds to thoughts, emotions, and intentions.

Thus the psionicist interfaces with the Weave directly to produce magical effects.

In my Norsesque setting, the mind itself is animistically the source of the magic power. The visualizations of a mind have force and influence.

Yes, it is just magic. If you levitate things with your mind, it is magic. But for some reason some people want a completely separate parallel magic system because they have found a different word for magic. 'Psionics' is just a word Victorians came up when calling things 'magic' became too embarrassing.

In this game channelling power of gods or nature, learning complex magical formula, being born with dragon blood, making pacts with devils and the power of rock 'n roll all use the same basic magic system. It is ludicrous idea that vaguely defined 'psionics' would somehow be more different to all of them than they're from each other.

I think that a psi dice / power point system is the minimum needed for a psionics class.

Pity DnD beyond is planning to add the spell points system at some point after the heat death of the universe.

Remove ads