D&D 5E What’s the highest CR critter you’ve actually used in your game?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What’s the highest CR critter you’ve actually used in your game?

For me, it was probably Strahd, so not super-high. Just wondering how high folks tend to go?

Lancelot

Adventurer
Ogremoch, at the end of the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign. It ended with a TPK (five 13th level PCs).

Oh, and Iymrith (ancient blue dragon) in Storm King's Thunder... but that one probably doesn't count, as the circumstances of the battle are a bit unusual.

My guys didn't make it to the finish line of any of the other TSR adventure paths, other than Curse of Strahd (which has lower-level opponents).

Lancelot

Adventurer
...although, to answer the underlying question, my group has never been higher than 13th level in 5th edition. Not because we don't enjoy high-level play, but because they're always TPK'ed before hitting 14th level. We have a general group rule: if the campaign ends in a TPK, we always start again at 1st level. It's part of the fun for the group - "can we beat our old 13th level record, guys? Let's do it!"

Oofta

Legend
A refluffed tarrasque, so CR 30. It was an extra-large group (8 people) and they were all 20th level, they handled it without a problem even though it had "minions". In my experience it really depends on the group and how many PCs you have.

There were a few moments that were touch-and-go though, but the look on their faces when I pulled out the giant plastic crab and said it was to scale was a lot of fun. :)

jgsugden

Legend
30 if we include encounters where the PCs should not fight - the PCs met Asmodeus.

In a one shot I put 20th level PCs against a CR 26 Demon Lord of my creation.

In a campaign they have not exceeded 22, but there were a few CR 22 enemies. I tend to prefer groups of enemies at higher levels, so they rarely encounter anything solo and deadly.

The biggest single monster I've run from a book was The Tarrasque, so CR 30.

Before that, there was a boss that used Contingency to change forms multiple times in succession (upon reaching 0hp, change into a new form). I don't know what the CR would have been if it had been statted out as a single monster, so I just awarded XP for each of the component parts (archmage, lich, ancient black dragon, kraken, kraken).

Remove ads