• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 What 1st, 2nd, and 4th edition rules should be imported into 3.5e?

Belzbet

First Post
OD&D, AD&D, and/or 4th edition may offer some rules that would compliment 3.5 edition (such as skill challenges from 4th, although most DM's probably implement skill challenges anyway). I dont know these editions well so i want to ask you guys what rules you like in 4th edition and how they can be transfered to 3.5 edition (over all i didnt necessarily like the standardization that 4th edition brings, namely, EVERY class gets the same amount of atwill/daily/encounter/utility powers, every class gets 1/2HD to attack, saves, etc.). By the way, and this may be a stupid question, but what is edition 3.x????

Last edited:

Replace the Fort/Ref/Will saving throws with Fort/Ref/Will defenses; in other words, the attack targets one of those defenses (or AC) rather than have the target roll a saving throw in response to an attack.

Belzbet

First Post
Also, I ask what OD&D or AD&D (any edition before 3.x) rules do you guys think should be imported into 3.x edition. I am even more unfamiliar with the earlier versions of the game so I want to hear about any good rules you 'old timers' just cant leave in the dust.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I like the 4th Edition skill system much better than the 3rd Edition skill system - though neither is perfect. I like the way that most of the skills were consolidated and the changes that were made to determine which ability score affected which skill. It seems more correct to me that Knowledge (nature) is a Wisdom-based skill in 4th Edition rather than an Intelligence-based skill as in 3rd Edition. The downside to the 4th Edition method is that they cut and consolidated more skills than I would have liked.

I also like the concept of Second Wind in 4th Edition - though not the implementation (I hate Healing Surges). I'd like to see it redone in 3rd Edition as: Standard Action X/day: You heal Y hit points (or something along those lines).

From 1st Edition, I liked the way abilities were handled in terms of what bonuses you recieved at each level rather than the linear progression that 3rd Edition has. A score of an 8 or 9 in 1st Edition was often quite a bit less annoying than an 8 or 9 in 3rd Edition.

I also appreciate how in 1st Edition is was quite a bit easier to disrupt a wizard's spell casting.

Kafen

First Post
Also, I ask what OD&D or AD&D (any edition before 3.x) rules do you guys think should be imported into 3.x edition. I am even more unfamiliar with the earlier versions of the game so I want to hear about any good rules you 'old timers' just cant leave in the dust.

I use the xp system from AD&D for my own games in 3.5 at the moment. It makes my job easier as GM which is nice as the group reaches high levels. Though, I am likely going to steal Pathfinder's xp system in the immediate future for my game.

Sekhmet

First Post
Knowledge (nature) is a Wisdom-based skill in 4th Edition rather than an Intelligence-based skill as in 3rd Edition.

So you like Survival being Knowledge of Nature? Knowing about trees, what of leaf that is, and what sort of creatures you might find in this temperate forest climate is much more bookish than hunting and trapping.

Remnants in my 3.x games include rolling percentile die as often as possible, sometimes for no reason, doppelgangers that will destroy you financially before you even know they're your enemy, and the famous Boots of Speed.
Other than that, I try to keep things separate.
I've considered going to the AD&D attacks/round system, which would make Weapon Specialization a feat someone might actually want to get.

Loonook

First Post
So you like Survival being Knowledge of Nature? Knowing about trees, what of leaf that is, and what sort of creatures you might find in this temperate forest climate is much more bookish than hunting and trapping.

Most who learn to hunt and trap also learn the local flora and fauna. Knowing that an animal prefers acorns, or apples, or the herb that can stop your sickness. Most who live off the land learn first-hand the usefulness of the local ecology better than someone who know it from a picture book or vague description.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Sekhmet

First Post
Most who learn to hunt and trap also learn the local flora and fauna. Knowing that an animal prefers acorns, or apples, or the herb that can stop your sickness. Most who live off the land learn first-hand the usefulness of the local ecology better than someone who know it from a picture book or vague description.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

I didn't say "local".
Knowledge is accumulated knowledge of a broad subject matter, not only relevant to day-to-day eating and drinking (which falls under Survival, not Knowledge).
Thanks for agreeing, though.

Remove ads