D&D 4E What 4E Adventures are Best for Conversion to 5E?

fjw70

Adventurer

When I say converted, I mean I ran them as is and just tweaked the stat blocks to work with 5e. But for me running an adventure as-is means I make on the fly adjustments to fit the campaign story. So I don’t have any thing written to share, unless you are interested in my monster conversions.

JeffB

Legend
In general I thought most of the Goodman 4e adventures were good, I liked them much more than their 3e ones.

Agreed. We had alot of fun with Isle of the Sea Drake, and some of the low level S&S type adventures in that book of one-shots they made (can't recall the name, atm)

fjw70

Adventurer
Only if it's not too much bother. it will be a long time before I will need them, but conversion to 5E of old adventures I hope to run myself is always of interest.

Okay here are the basics. This is based on my home brew monster creation system based on monster level. I use it to covert materials from previous edition. The proficiency bonus for each monster is based in the level/HD and not the CR. This is the way I do 4e (4e is more a direct conversion than previous editions).

1) Start with the 4e stat block.
2) HP = 4e hp minus 20 for standard, minus 40 for elite, and minus 80 for solos. Inions have 5 hp.
3) Attack bonuses are cut in half.
4) For attacks against Fort, Will, and Reflex, they are converted to saves will DCs equal to 8 plus half the 4e attack bonus.
5) AC is 11 plus proficiency bonus (plus two for soldiers and minus 2 for brutes).
6) For damage, it is the damage in the stat block plus level (plus half level for minions).
7) Ability checks and saves for the monsters are done as a multiple of the proficiency bonus. I assign a level of proficency for each check (as they come up) as follows.
-1 = something you are bad at
0 = not particularly good or bad at it
1= good at it
2 = really good at it
3 = awesome at it (something you may have Skill Expertise in) — used rarely

Then the check bonus is that number times the proficiency bonus. For example, a level 6 ogre would be really good at strength checks so it would have a +6 to the check (skill level of 2 times the proficiency bonus of +3).

Those are the basics.

GlassJaw

Hero
I didn’t play 4E because it wasn’t my cup of tea. However, I’ve since gone back and looked over the rules and there’s a lot I like. I also really like the Nentir Vale setting.

That said, I absolutely HATE the maps in most of the modules. I’ve heard good things about some of them but the maps completely break my immersion. Some modules look board games. I hate the dungeon tile format.

So while I want to get into the setting more, the modules are a huge turnoff for me. Are there any resources that have redone the maps?

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Most of the earlier modules can arguably be said to have been written for a game very similar to 5e (Keep on the Shadowfell seems a perfect example of this). As such, aside from the presentation, you can pretty much use them "as is" by simply subbing appropriate monsters from the MM. It might be worth it to jot down a page of notes as a summary of the adventure; even with their impressive length, the truly important information in 4e adventures can often be boiled down to a rather low page count...

As to the maps, I don't know of anyone having done an extensive redraw... - but, then again, I'd check places like deviantArt. I'm quite certain there are plenty of versions out there to be found.

I'm looking at archfey-related adventures now, seeing as the archfey still exist in 5E but are largely undetailed. I just came upon a fun-looking adventure called A Rhyme Gone Wrong in which an archfey called Felsa the Slumbering Queen puts the adults of a town to sleep to drain their life force.

Remove ads