D&D 5E What a small industry 5e publishing really is, and WOTC are thieves.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The Op's post is kind of weird... I mean yes WotC is a "big bad money-grubbing company," owned by the much bigger Hasbro... but it's also made up of individuals. And I don't know Jeremy Crawford or Chris Perkins, but they're probably not wracking in a ton of more money personally than Ed Greenwood was at his most successful.

Now, the SHAREHOLDERS and EXECUTIVES of WotC certainly make a lot of money. But that's kind of universally true across almost every industry in America?

Don't support coporate TTRPGs! Buy stuff from independent publishers; like Enworld! Level Up, War of the Burning Sky, and En5ider just just a few of the offering you can purchase TODAY to show those corps that they arn't the only game in town!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I have no problem with "supporting corporate TTRPGs," and I acknowledge that they aren't the only game in town. So while we're on the subject of indie publishers, allow me to plug a couple of my favorites.

In the "Not D&D" category, for folks that need this sort of thing, I recommend Dread. It's one of the best and most original indie games I've ever played.

In the "5E D&D Compatible" category, if that matters to you, I recommend Tribality Games' "Seas of Vodari." It's a unique campaign setting with all the trimmings.

And I love me some Critical Role. But, if you feel that Critical Role is too mainstream or "corporate" for your tastes--and fair enough--I highly recommend Dimension20's "Fantasy High" show.

HomegrownHydra

Adventurer
There's a difference between 'not free' and the fleecing writers have to deal with.

A publishing deal will typically get you 20%

Amazon only takes 30%, but puts massive pressure on writers to underprice (books are just there to sell Kindles, so Jeff says to price at 99 cents) or go in for the KU scam where they pay you .0001 per page and reader re-reads don't count. Oh, and then there's the 15-29 cent 'delivery charge' to move ~20mb of data.

The industry gravely exploits writers.
You don't have to price your Kindle books at .99 cents, you get 70% royalties if the price is between $2.99 and $9.99. And you don't have to enroll in Kindle Select, that's entirely optional and there is no penalty for not enrolling (and it's really weird to criticize Amazon for not giving royalties for re-reads; if someone buys your physical book or ebook and reads it multiple times they don't pay you a penny more).

Their royalties for POD books are also really good, author copies are super cheap (just the cost of printing and shipping) and there aren't any extra fees for doing business on Amazon. I don't like Amazon in general and on principle I'd rather not have anything to do with them but as an indie author I have to admit thier publishing services are great.

Now, the SHAREHOLDERS and EXECUTIVES of WotC certainly make a lot of money. But that's kind of universally true across almost every industry in America?
Hasbro shareholder here. At the moment I have about a 10% unrealized loss on my investment. But rest assured that whatever executives made the decisions that have led to the stock not being a terribly strong performer the last few years have been well compensated.

Remove ads