D&D (2024) What Adventure Should One D&D Launch With? (+)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Here's the thing...

None of the old adventures have tieflings, dragonborns, ardlings, good orcs, and goliaths in it.
Mystara had ‘good‘ Orcs , Giants are ubiquitous, Tieflings and Ardlings should be tainted individuals not an ethnic group and Dragonborn can be substitutes for draconians or half-dragons.

and personally I prefer the old adventures because they werent trying to shoehorn everything as a PC

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Mystara had ‘good‘ Orcs , Giants are ubiquitous, Tieflings and Ardlings should be tainted individuals not an ethnic group and Dragonborn can be substitutes for draconians or half-dragons.

and personally I prefer the old adventures because they werent trying to shoehorn everything as a PC
Using Mystara would be shoehorning things in.

To me the best option is to create new over modification of old.

Yaarel

He Mage
I want a brand new setting. ... Of course, I only want a brand new setting that I personally happen to like. Heh, I dont want a brand new setting that I dont like.

From a business perspective, how can there be any other way? Take a traditional setting that is tried-and-true, that the minority love and that the majority seem able to tolerate.

One D&D will have Forgotten Realms, as the default setting. Again. How can it be otherwise?

I personally dislike Forgotten Realms. There are parts of it that are cool. The Drow are guilty pleasure. I am onboard with the Uda, Loren, and Aeven Drow cultures. And I am onboard with how One D&D makes all Elves differ only by means of which innate spells they choose to cast. All differences between any elves are learned cultural differences. But hate the gods of the Forgotten Realms cosmology; I hate the alignment Wheel dominions of the Astral Plane, but mostly because of the ill-conceived gods that live there. I want it gone, and everything in FR that refers to it gone. Also, Forgotten Realms is old-school D&D and racist-essentialism of "races" is intrinsically built into the setting, and difficult to undo without radically altering the setting. Compare, Uda, Loren, and Aeven.

I would prefer Forgotten Realms gone. But what else there? What other setting would the MAJORITY of D&D gamers be able to tolerate?

Clint_L

Hero
Forgotten Realms is probably a done deal as the default setting for D&D, because that's where the film is set and a key element of Hasbro trying to "monetize" D&D is to move beyond the fanbase of players. For that, they need well-known IP in addition to the game itself.

That's why I think the next starter set will be set in the FR, but in general I would like adventures to be written in ways what are somewhat setting neutral and easy to transplant. Phandelver is set in the FR, but is so self-contained that it is easy to use in other settings, and I have done so several times.

Racial essentialism is built into almost every fantasy setting and so I think the thing to do is to move past it in new iterations of them, rather than abandon them. Let the settings evolve with the culture.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Maybe Hasbro can buy the Might and Magic universe from Ubisoft? It's got all the base races, classes, and cultures in it. The orcs aren't evil. The casters are split into different cultures. The dark elves make a little more sense.

Plus the DM can throw 1000 skeletons at the party without an excuse.

I miss HOMM.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
@Bawlie’s learning dungeon (drawn in ballpoint pen on notebook paper, if I’m remembering correctly, would be a good candidate.

Remove ads