D&D General what are druids?

Not that different,
since no one really knows what historic Druids were like either
True, not a lot is known about them, but druids historically, from what they can gather anyways, were more sages and priests rather than protectors of the forest and animals lol. I will agree though that it is a fine line, but there is enough of a distinct difference between the game and actual history lol.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't know what the class story is for 5e, but I think the druid's role has changed in popular perception. I've seen people call rangers and druids as protectors of nature from civilisation, but in earlier editions (actually, this might be specific to rangers) they protected civilisation from nature or more importantly, the dangerous things that lurked in the wild places. I sort of keep that as part of the lore for my druids/rangers.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
, but in earlier editions (actually, this might be specific to rangers) they protected civilisation from nature or more importantly, the dangerous things that lurked in the wild places.
That was specific to Rangers
in 1e Druids were Nature Clerics whose code required that they protect animals and plants -- including punishing those who destroy plants and animals without reason. They spells were about controlling fire and weather, purifying water and communing with plants and animals, and they got to shape change at level 6.

Are there any 5e Druid Circles that focus on just plants, have plant-like monsters as companions and can wild-shape into a plant-like monster? Ditto for Druids who have elementals as companions and can turn into elementals themselves. ;)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Are there any 5e Druid Circles that focus on just plants, have plant-like monsters as companions and can wild-shape into a plant-like monster? Ditto for Druids who have elementals as companions and can turn into elementals themselves. ;)
No for plants. Moon druid used to turn into elementals.

Back when 2024 version of DnD Was announced to be 4 subclasses each, I suggested it be

Circle of the Sun: Plants
Circle of the Moon: Animals
Circle of the Stars: Astrology
Circle of the Land Earth: Terrain

to match the idea that Gaulic druids did astrology and astronomy.

Then add
Circle of the Sea
Circle of the Sky
Circle of the Comets
Circle of the Meteor (renamed Wildfire)
Circle of the Void

No for plants. Moon druid used to turn into elementals.
Okay. In Pathfinder first edition there was an elven archetype for Druids called the Treesinger. https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf/treesinger-druid-elf These elven druids had plant companions, plant empathy and could wild shape only into plant-like creatures.

In Kobold Press' Midgard setting for PF1, there were the Elemental Exarch Druids who focused their concerns with the four classical elements. They had elemental companions that grew in size and power as the Druid leveled up, and who became elementals instead of beasts.

Hussar

Legend
What is the distinction between a Cleric of Nature and a Cleric of Tempest? Aren't storms part of nature?

I tend to look at druids as being far more focused on nature, rather than focus on people. Focusing on people and worshippers is a cleric's job. Focusing on maintaining natural order, balance, and how these things interact with each other, rather than how they can be exploited by people. Nature Clerics would see things like raising crops as perfectly acceptable because raising crops benefits their flock. Druids generally don't have a "flock" to take care of.

Not sure if this is making sense. :erm:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What is the distinction between a Cleric of Nature and a Cleric of Tempest? Aren't storms part of nature?

I tend to look at druids as being far more focused on nature, rather than focus on people. Focusing on people and worshippers is a cleric's job. Focusing on maintaining natural order, balance, and how these things interact with each other, rather than how they can be exploited by people. Nature Clerics would see things like raising crops as perfectly acceptable because raising crops benefits their flock. Druids generally don't have a "flock" to take care of.

Not sure if this is making sense. :erm:
I see it a different way and this is why I love the idea of new class.

Druids are get this .. a different type of religion.

How I run druids.
See there are many gods.

The Cleric is a devotee to the Pantheon of the Divines and dedicate themselves to a part of it to create a clergy.

For example a Tempest Cleric could be devoted to the Olympians and to Zeus. Zeus is their channel into the Divine. And they are in the fight against Zeus's enemies and the Divines.

A Druid is a devotee to the Pantheon of the Nature and dedicate themselves to whoever is there, be it nature gods or nature spirits.

A Druid casts call lightning. Lighting falls. But Zeus is a god of lightning and Artemis is a goddess of nature. Same with Demeter and Persephone. You don't know if it's Zeus's bolt, Demeter's bolt, Artemis's bolt or just the power of nature. Heck it could be Gaia or Cronus's bolt. Titans and Primordials. Because Druids worship all of them.

They all are priests. They both have flock. However due to their nature, follow different sets of deities and have different structures.

Cleric: Agent of the Divine
Druid: Agent of Nature
Shaman: Agent of Spirits
Hiereia Heretic: Agent of the Primordials

Remove ads