• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are hammer-ons and pull-offs

Why did I know YOU would be the one to disagree? :D
Like I said, "invented", I liken it to how Ringo Starr "invented" the use of the hi-hat in drum playing. Sure it was around before him, but is was there as an effect, not a real part of playing - each one used their respective take and now they are both part of essential playing. :) But technically, DAs right, it was around before EVH, but again not in the way they are today.

Funny you should mention Jimi, because he NEVER used them together, he would pick-pull and pick-hammer (or even pick-hammer-hammer). One of the reasons he was so good was because he could pull that stuff off before the pick-pull-hammer combination was around.

But anyway enough de-railing... Did we answer your question?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's 'cause we lawyers tend to be real sticklers about words...sometimes bordering on the hypertechnical.

(Which is lawyerese for "I'm a jerk sometimes!") :D

morrolan

First Post
I think people are confusing hammer-ons and pull-offs with 2 handed tapping, which is the technique EVH is credited with pioneering, although, again, it existed before him, he just made it popular.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads