• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are some D&D products that used a 3rd-party's IP?

JeffB

Legend
Oh, the first ever standalone D&D module, Palace of the Vampire Queen (1976), was actually published by a company called Wee Warriors and only distributed by TSR. Not sure if that counts or not. The same company also published the first set of character sheets, under the title The Character Archaic, and which was also distributed by TSR.

And these are now in print again (the modules, anyway)

JeffB

Legend
What about "Temple of the Frog"? Did Dave Arneson keep his Blackmoor IP rights?

Yes- there were 3.X and 4E versions of Blackmoor and Dave had the Blackmoor Supplement on his website for free download for years (which kinda sucks, because Tim Kask & Steve Marsh did half the book's content and never got any credit for it)

Windrunner

Explorer
CA2_Swords_Of_Deceit.jpg
TSR9162_Lankhmar_City_Of_Adventure.jpg

dave2008

Legend
Off the top of my head: There were the Cthulhu and Melibone mysthoi in the original Deities and Demigods. The Lankmar mythos in the 2e Legends and Lore. Rokugan in 3e's OA. I believe there were some Red Sonja modules.
pretty sure Lankmar, aka the Nehwon Mythos, was in the original Deities and Demigods

Off the top of my head: There were the Cthulhu and Melibone mysthoi in the original Deities and Demigods.

I'm not sure if cthulhu counts as an intellectual property since lovecraft's stuff is public domain

EDIT:
but if we are counting it then the ravenloft avdenture based on Poe's "Masque of the Red Death" counts too

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads