D&D 5E What are some of your favorite FUN Multiclass combos & why?

Zethnos

Explorer
Greetings my fellow adventurers!

Yes it is one of THOSE threads. This is not a "Which is best" contest. I am looking at some cool multiclassing combinations to see if there was anything I wanted to play that might be unusual and fun (without being COMPLETELY useless). I hit google and come across some interesting things.

I want to know, what multiclass combos you like that is very fun or plays in a unique way. Please provide info as to some of the mechanics that you like that work together and some info about the build. Does not need to be a complete build. Also, please stay around 10th level when considering these. Yes they may be amazing at 20th level, but most campaigns don't make it that far. Yes it can be a multiclass of more than two classes.

Lets see what interesting things everyone comes up with :) GO NUTS!

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
I currently have a Forest Gnome Wild Magic Sorcerer 4/ Fey Pact Warlock 1. The fun comes in using Tides of Chaos with Eldrich Blast, and then using Frightful presence followed by Alter Self where I grow fangs and turn into a gnashing little ball of hate. I took Tavern Brawler as my 4th level ASI, so once I bite I hold on with my teeth as my grapple.

Right now the plan is to have him be WMS 6/ Fey Pact Chain Warlock 3/ Monk 1 at 10th level but the most fun I'm having is not trying to plan to far ahead and optimize everything out. It wasn't until I hit WMS 4 and took Tavern Brawler and Alter Self that I thought to do the Warlock thing.
Of course, I also play in a campaign where character death is a real and constant threat, so who knows if I'll make it that far. If not, I'll just switch to the Dwarven Land Druid/Beastmaster Ranger I've been thinking about.
IMO, 5e is full of fun combos that may not be optimal but are still very effective.

Zethnos

Explorer
I currently have a Forest Gnome Wild Magic Sorcerer 4/ Fey Pact Warlock 1. The fun comes in using Tides of Chaos with Eldrich Blast, and then using Frightful presence followed by Alter Self where I grow fangs and turn into a gnashing little ball of hate. I took Tavern Brawler as my 4th level ASI, so once I bite I hold on with my teeth as my grapple.

Right now the plan is to have him be WMS 6/ Fey Pact Chain Warlock 3/ Monk 1 at 10th level but the most fun I'm having is not trying to plan to far ahead and optimize everything out. It wasn't until I hit WMS 4 and took Tavern Brawler and Alter Self that I thought to do the Warlock thing.
Of course, I also play in a campaign where character death is a real and constant threat, so who knows if I'll make it that far. If not, I'll just switch to the Dwarven Land Druid/Beastmaster Ranger I've been thinking about.
IMO, 5e is full of fun combos that may not be optimal but are still very effective.

Very interesting, what do you hope to be able to add from the monk? The unarmored defense would be very nice for one.

Grappling with a spell caster? I need to look into that one haha. How has it worked out so far? What do you do once grappled?

And yes you are very right. I don't care so much at being the most maxed out OP character as long as I can play something interesting and have fun doing it :) (as long as it isn't so bad that I am of no use hahaha)

OB1

Jedi Master
From the monk I'm looking to add unarmed fighting so I can use Dex instead of Str for my Altered Self Unarmed attacks. Right now I'm relying on purchasing very expensive Potions of Hill Giant Strength to make that combo effective. The unarmored defense will be a nice bonus.

Once grappled I try and get a wild surge and hope for a good effect, but also to tie the enemy up to let the Goliath Barbarian and Dragonborn Monk beat up on him.

So far, it's mainly worked that after a round or two I'm misty stepping to somewhere safer. Drixel Habblepox may be a bit wild and crazy, but he's not stupid.

And that's the trick, isn't it? Having fun while still being a help and not a hindrance to the party.

Zethnos

Explorer
From the monk I'm looking to add unarmed fighting so I can use Dex instead of Str for my Altered Self Unarmed attacks. Right now I'm relying on purchasing very expensive Potions of Hill Giant Strength to make that combo effective. The unarmored defense will be a nice bonus.

Once grappled I try and get a wild surge and hope for a good effect, but also to tie the enemy up to let the Goliath Barbarian and Dragonborn Monk beat up on him.

So far, it's mainly worked that after a round or two I'm misty stepping to somewhere safer. Drixel Habblepox may be a bit wild and crazy, but he's not stupid.

And that's the trick, isn't it? Having fun while still being a help and not a hindrance to the party.

Very interesting tactic. I would have never thought of that. I am glad you shared :)

Yes that is the trick indeed lol.

Miladoon

First Post
2Wild Mage Sorcerer/1Life Cleric/Guild Artisan - Calligrapher

A human-male conservative Wild Mage that can heal, buff, blast, and front line. 4th level will give me a better feel how everything ties together.

He generally triggers Tides of Chaos (advantage on attack roll) with his Guiding Bolt (cleric spell) and then moves to block additional enemies so the party can focus on one. Only triggered a surge once from a Shield spell (sorcerer spell), and gave the ranger flight.

For this game, triggering wild magic near elves or anyone with elf blood, causes them (elves) temporary nymphomania.

Haha, the ranger was a wood elf female.

Zethnos

Explorer
2Wild Mage Sorcerer/1Life Cleric/Guild Artisan - Calligrapher

A human-male conservative Wild Mage that can heal, buff, blast, and front line. 4th level will give me a better feel how everything ties together.

He generally triggers Tides of Chaos (advantage on attack roll) with his Guiding Bolt (cleric spell) and then moves to block additional enemies so the party can focus on one. Only triggered a surge once from a Shield spell (sorcerer spell), and gave the ranger flight.

For this game, triggering wild magic near elves or anyone with elf blood, causes them (elves) temporary nymphomania.

Haha, the ranger was a wood elf female.

hmmm people seem to be making front line sorcerers a thing. I should look into this.

The nymphomania... Just..... Gold... LOL

Miladoon

First Post
yup. I am working on a story board for NaNoWriMo2015. I am not a writer but I plan on giving it a go.

In time, I think more feasible MC combos will begin to show up. The ruleset is just that way. However, I predict that most caster roads will lead through metamagic, with dragon and wild being about even as choices. My personal preference is wild. Go wild or go home.

Zethnos

Explorer
yup. I am working on a story board for NaNoWriMo2015. I am not a writer but I plan on giving it a go.

In time, I think more feasible MC combos will begin to show up. The ruleset is just that way. However, I predict that most caster roads will lead through metamagic, with dragon and wild being about even as choices. My personal preference is wild. Go wild or go home.

Yeah, especially if they release some new classes. I am kind of excited to see what people come up with. I like the dragon better personally :p but they are both good, just depends on play style.

Greetings my fellow adventurers!

Yes it is one of THOSE threads. This is not a "Which is best" contest. I am looking at some cool multiclassing combinations to see if there was anything I wanted to play that might be unusual and fun (without being COMPLETELY useless). I hit google and come across some interesting things.

I want to know, what multiclass combos you like that is very fun or plays in a unique way. Please provide info as to some of the mechanics that you like that work together and some info about the build. Does not need to be a complete build. Also, please stay around 10th level when considering these. Yes they may be amazing at 20th level, but most campaigns don't make it that far. Yes it can be a multiclass of more than two classes.

Lets see what interesting things everyone comes up with :) GO NUTS!

Sharpshooter Battlemaster 5/Diviner 3, for Precise Strike/Portent on offense, Shield/Blur for defense, a free familiar for advantage on offense, and miscellaneous useful spells like Blindness and Flaming Sphere.

Spell Sniper Warlock 2/Necromancer 6+. Use your bonus action to command your skellies each turn while you blast away with Eldritch Blast from behind cover.

Sharpshooter Ranger 5 (Horde Breaker)/Arcane Trickster 3. Snipe enemies with near-impunity from afar, and if they try to close on you, just lay down a Spike Growth in a choke point and Cunning Action yourself away. Arcane Trickster supplies Shield spell, Stealth and Athletics Expertise, and 2d6 of sneak attack. Improves even further at Ranger 7 (Escape the Horde + Cunning Action basically means all melee attacks against you, ever, will be opportunity attacks made at disadvantage), Ranger 9 (Conjure Animals), and Ranger 11 (Volley). It's unclear which rule is more "specific", but it is possible that Volley might allow you to Volley with as many Nets as you can manage to draw during your turn (one in each hand plus one more from your object interaction?). Thanks to Sharpshooter, you don't even have long-range disadvantage on the attack, and you also get your Archery style bonus to hit. In theory you could capture three separate enemies in nets on your turn for your conjured crocodiles to rip to shreds.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases