D&D 5E What are some of your favorite FUN Multiclass combos & why?

Zethnos

Explorer
Sharpshooter Battlemaster 5/Diviner 3, for Precise Strike/Portent on offense, Shield/Blur for defense, a free familiar for advantage on offense, and miscellaneous useful spells like Blindness and Flaming Sphere.

Spell Sniper Warlock 2/Necromancer 6+. Use your bonus action to command your skellies each turn while you blast away with Eldritch Blast from behind cover.

Sharpshooter Ranger 5 (Horde Breaker)/Arcane Trickster 3. Snipe enemies with near-impunity from afar, and if they try to close on you, just lay down a Spike Growth in a choke point and Cunning Action yourself away. Arcane Trickster supplies Shield spell, Stealth and Athletics Expertise, and 2d6 of sneak attack. Improves even further at Ranger 7 (Escape the Horde + Cunning Action basically means all melee attacks against you, ever, will be opportunity attacks made at disadvantage), Ranger 9 (Conjure Animals), and Ranger 11 (Volley). It's unclear which rule is more "specific", but it is possible that Volley might allow you to Volley with as many Nets as you can manage to draw during your turn (one in each hand plus one more from your object interaction?). Thanks to Sharpshooter, you don't even have long-range disadvantage on the attack, and you also get your Archery style bonus to hit. In theory you could capture three separate enemies in nets on your turn for your conjured crocodiles to rip to shreds.

Very nice. I like the ideas!

Mwm318

First Post
[MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION]

That is an interesting multiclass. I started an Arcane Trickster recently and was thinking of adding in either Fighter or Fighter/Monk at later levels. The fighter with archery for the bonus to ranged attacks and for a quick heal and/or monk for shadow step/unarmored defense. Do you think switching over to Ranger would be more beneficial from an ability perspective?

There are several great story line options to fit in these multiclasses as well.

SirLienad

First Post
I have been playing a couple of fun multiclasses for AL these last few weeks.

Mage Slayer Human GoO Warlock 2 / Shadow Monk X has been great for picking up darkness piercing darkvision on a human, although I haven't actually used the combination to avoid irritating my comrades. I picked Dendar the Night Serpent for his patron, and have him skulk around for the purpose of producing nightmares for Dendar's consumption. Hex + Flurry provides nice synergy against casters, and as a relatively squishy monk Protection From E&G has been awesome too, allowing me to go on the offensive against heavy hitters.

Shield Master Rogue 2 / Barbarian X has also been fun, getting expertise in Athletics combined with the Shield Master feat to get advantage and a little sneak attack on prone targets. The cunning action has also been great for kidnapping enemies or fleeing with allied bodies; Grapple as the action, then dash away for regular movement instead of half.

Zethnos

Explorer
I have been playing a couple of fun multiclasses for AL these last few weeks.

Mage Slayer Human GoO Warlock 2 / Shadow Monk X has been great for picking up darkness piercing darkvision on a human, although I haven't actually used the combination to avoid irritating my comrades. I picked Dendar the Night Serpent for his patron, and have him skulk around for the purpose of producing nightmares for Dendar's consumption. Hex + Flurry provides nice synergy against casters, and as a relatively squishy monk Protection From E&G has been awesome too, allowing me to go on the offensive against heavy hitters.

Shield Master Rogue 2 / Barbarian X has also been fun, getting expertise in Athletics combined with the Shield Master feat to get advantage and a little sneak attack on prone targets. The cunning action has also been great for kidnapping enemies or fleeing with allied bodies; Grapple as the action, then dash away for regular movement instead of half.

Very nice, those seem like very fun builds you have there!

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
Right now I have a Fighter 1 / Sorcerer 3 Dragonborn. It's a heavily armored sorcerer (20 AC), who focuses on up close and personal spells. He knows spells like Create Bonfire, Thunderclap, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Earthen Grasp, Enlarge/Reduce. It's a very limited class, but it's fun to play a sorcerer who can knock heads and often stands at the front of the party. I hope that someday I can pick up some plate armor or some magic armor/shield to further increase my AC.

Next level (Fighter 1 / Sorcerer 4) I'm picking up Tavern Brawler to balance out my odd strength. Can't wait to shove people to the ground, grapple them as a bonus, and then Create Bonfire under them on my next turn. Eventually I'll probably work it up to Fighter 3 / Sorcerer X and pick up Action Surge plus Battle Master Maneuvers.

Zethnos

Explorer
Right now I have a Fighter 1 / Sorcerer 3 Dragonborn. It's a heavily armored sorcerer (20 AC), who focuses on up close and personal spells. He knows spells like Create Bonfire, Thunderclap, Shocking Grasp, Shield, Earthen Grasp, Enlarge/Reduce. It's a very limited class, but it's fun to play a sorcerer who can knock heads and often stands at the front of the party. I hope that someday I can pick up some plate armor or some magic armor/shield to further increase my AC.

Next level (Fighter 1 / Sorcerer 4) I'm picking up Tavern Brawler to balance out my odd strength. Can't wait to shove people to the ground, grapple them as a bonus, and then Create Bonfire under them on my next turn. Eventually I'll probably work it up to Fighter 3 / Sorcerer X and pick up Action Surge plus Battle Master Maneuvers.

Not a bad idea, I have been looking at a few sorcerer fighter combos myself :p

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
Even 1 level of fighter adds a ton of low-level survivability. It raises you AC, HP, and second wind can be a savior. Plus if you have a race with +2 Strength it doesn't have to go to waste. I would recommend giving it a shot. It's definitely been fun for me so far. Especially when the DM is so excited that he finally hit me, but then Shield raises my AC to 25.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Rogue3/MonkX. Arcane Trickster, Way of the Open Hand. Run through the front-line scrum and snitch the enemy spellcaster's component pouch / arcane focus / holy symbol. Let him waste his time chasing you around the room a bit, or use your enhanced mage hand to float his stuff near the ceiling. My AL version has only made Monk2/Rogue 1 but has performed as a pseudo-Striker and as the Designated Scout via Expertise(Perception).
I've also made the 'comedy moment' for one session when I tried to Acrobatics my way up on top of a prison cage but missed my roll - fell flat on my face instead and drew a bunch of guards over to the 'helpless hapless' silly guy in no armor. The rest of my group appreciated one free turn to attack with no retaliation. (ouch, though)
I also took Cartographer's Tools and the Outlander background for the 'map in your head' feature. I NEVER get lost. When I retire, I'm going to have a complete map of the Moonsea region.

Zethnos

Explorer
Rogue3/MonkX. Arcane Trickster, Way of the Open Hand. Run through the front-line scrum and snitch the enemy spellcaster's component pouch / arcane focus / holy symbol. Let him waste his time chasing you around the room a bit, or use your enhanced mage hand to float his stuff near the ceiling. My AL version has only made Monk2/Rogue 1 but has performed as a pseudo-Striker and as the Designated Scout via Expertise(Perception).
I've also made the 'comedy moment' for one session when I tried to Acrobatics my way up on top of a prison cage but missed my roll - fell flat on my face instead and drew a bunch of guards over to the 'helpless hapless' silly guy in no armor. The rest of my group appreciated one free turn to attack with no retaliation. (ouch, though)
I also took Cartographer's Tools and the Outlander background for the 'map in your head' feature. I NEVER get lost. When I retire, I'm going to have a complete map of the Moonsea region.

Very interesting concept. I hope it continues to work out for you!

Joe Guzman

First Post
A buddy of mine went with a Monk/Barbarian combo. Was interesting as he just never went down and when he came close, he was able to recover and still dish out tons of damage. Was pretty impressive build.

Remove ads