D&D 5E What are some of your favorite FUN Multiclass combos & why?

antonslavik021

Villager
I haven't played her yet, but I'm looking to use my wizard/barb soon. The campaign she'd join is largely about having fun good character moments so the threat of death isn't really there(DM wants everyone to have their character arcs complete at the very least) so I'm mainly building her for fun, not optimizing.

Currently she's 6 in wizard(blade singer) and 4 in barb(storm herald, desert). She's heavily focused on fire damage, has just 12 AC due to 8 dex, and a 16 in strength, con and intelligence. Optimimized? No. Fun as hell sounding? Absolutely.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
Favorite thus far was a Variant Human Inquisitive Rogue 4 / The Raven Queen Warlock 4 / Lore Bard 6. Took the feats Actor, Observant, Keen Mind and Prodigy. Used Point Buy for stats, focusing on Cha, Wis, Int. He was a master of disguise (Actor + Mask of Many Faces), super observant (proficiency + expertise + Wis + Cha), and a major know-it-all. Going Pact of the Chain he picked up an Imp who was always in Raven form; allowing him to have two "ravens" at his side. He ran around with a rapier and a flintlock pistol (really an arcane focus/sling: which he would shoot Magic Stone and Eldritch Blasts from). His name was Edgar, the Spirit Raven was named Aloysius and the Imp was name Imperious.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
None. I think multiclass is cheese for power gamers imho. The argument that someone needs it to build the type of character they want to roleplay is bull imho. You asked for my opinion you got it.

delph

Explorer
I'v done one, bit not play yet.
Variant Human, feat Observant, skill perception. Background Investigator, Wizard X (bladedncer, get some nice spells), Rogue - expertize on investigation, arcana, maybe Bard to get another expertize on perception and insight And Jack od all trades. And ofcourse musican instrument. Fantasy Sherlock Holmes.
Some next feats - Keen mind And prodigy.

May ve dip in knowledge cleric

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
One of my favorites has been a College of Glamour Bard 5/Celestial Pact Warlock 3

Started life a bard, then walked through a portal to the Court of Stars (that borders the plane Arborea) and ended up having some adventures with some fey (hence Glamour bard) and then compacted with the Queen of Stars herself (hence Celestial Pact) before making his way back to the Prime.

Another has been just a strait up Circle of Dreams Druid...

I guess I have something for Fey themes as another character I'm playing right now is an Eldritch Knight (spy) who's about to compact a powerful Winter Court Fey to gain magical powers that she can use to help her people take back the empire that they lost (or at least that's the plan), and so will be going Archfey Pact Warlock.

I like characters that develop in reaction to the story/world as they encounter it rather than according to my plan for them.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
None. I think multiclass is cheese for power gamers imho. The argument that someone needs it to build the type of character they want to roleplay is bull imho. You asked for my opinion you got it.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but how in the world do think your comment contributes positively towards this thread.

On Topic: Not mine, but a friend once ran a Half-Orc Barbarian 2 / Wizard (???) 12. In game, the character's Intelligence was a 5 until she picked up Keen Mind at 6th level. Backstory wise, she and some of her tribe killed a group of exhausted and battered adventures. On a dare, she wore the silly hat the frail one was wearing for the rest of the day. Said hat turned out to be a Helm of Intelligence. With her new Intelligence she studied the wizard's spell book and decided magic was what would make her tribe stronger. At some point the Helm was lost/stolen <DM digression> and she left her tribe in order to find it. She carried two spellbooks, one owned by the wizards she'd help kill, the other looked more like a child's coloring book with crude drawings and attempts to recreate symbols. Nearly 90% of her spells were for getting her into melee range and/or keeping her standing. When she actually attacked, Booming Blade and Shadow Blade where her go to spells.

And no Arnwolf666, this character could not have been produced by Eldritch Knight (or any other gish archetpye). Too much combat prowess, not enough spells.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I just answered the question. What are some of your fun multiclass combos. None is a valid response. I think the game is played better without them and that it hurts the game in my opinion. Basically just answering the question.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I just answered the question. What are some of your fun multiclass combos. None is a valid response. I think the game is played better without them and that it hurts the game in my opinion. Basically just answering the question.

If your intent was to answer with "none", you could have left it at the first two sentences in your response. Your last sentence, even if not intended this way, comes across as a proking statement, inviting challenge and was probably unnecessary.

Back to the topic...

I remembered another that I'd done that was super fun though not optimal, though it used an Unearthed Arcana Sorcerer Origin. Storm Giant Soul Sorcerer/Eldritch Knight.

Super duper MAD so my stats were terrible, but it was super fun too :)

Having seen the new Rune Knight UA I wish that'd been out back then. I know Rune Knight is the new version of Giant Soul, but they can work really well together IMO. OH well. Hopefully, at least Rune Knight will see play and we can get some giant flavored subclasses in print.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I built a Dirk Gently style existential detective out of a Halfling Diviner 3/Lore Bard 3 base. The goal was to cram all the luck related dice possible into one class and play him as a somewhat bumbling detective who doesn't quite understand how things keep working out (the fundamental interconnectness of all things naturally). He bends over to look at a flower and the arrow aimed at his head sails harmlessly overhead, You get the idea. Paired with solid INT and CHA and good skills from the bard side he's got some heft in third pillar and investagative play.

Dice that affects stuff to make the concept work: Portent, Halfling Luck, Bardic Inspiration/Cutting Words, plus eventually the Luck feat at 4th level. It's a fun character.

Wizard X/Knowledge Cleric 1 has long been a favorite of mine. That cleric subclass meshes very naturally with the wizard's pursuit of arcane knowledge. It also expands your spell repertoire and gives you a considerably stronger defense than a normal wizard.

While sage is the stereotypical background for this character, I am about to start playing a PC with the sailor background. She is a cleric of Selune, who is worshipped by sailors because stars and navigation are part of her portfolio.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases