• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best feats for a barbarian?

Firebeetle

Explorer
I'm doing a bit of research for a project.

What are the best/most common feats for a barbarian? I'm interested in PHB feats only here.

I'm predicting:

Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave

What additions would you make?

* Reckless Rage [instead of -2 AC for +4 Str, +4 Con, it's -4 AC for +6 Str, +6 Con]
* Reckless Offense [-4 AC, +2 attack, from the Expanded Psionics Handbook]
* The tactical feat that lets you take a hit to AC instead of attack bonus when you power attack

Rystil Arden

First Post
RangerWickett said:
* Reckless Rage [instead of -2 AC for +4 Str, +4 Con, it's -4 AC for +6 Str, +6 Con]
* The tactical feat that lets you take a hit to AC instead of attack bonus when you power attack
I'm guessing you really like your Barbarians to be living missiles--fire them off at a charge to do massive damage and self-destruct :lol: That's a cool image!

If the monster has Power Attack and multiple natural weapons (dragons are a good example), there's very little chance to survive a Reckless Rage, Reckless Offense, Shock Trooper charge unless the enemy dies on the charge.

Dr. NRG

First Post
Firebeetle said:
I'm doing a bit of research for a project.

What are the best/most common feats for a barbarian? I'm interested in PHB feats only here.

I'm predicting:

Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave

What additions would you make?

Power attack and cleave, yes. Great cleave, no. It just rarely ever ends up getting used, in my experience.

The dodge, mobility, spring attack chain isn't bad for a relatively lightly-armored barbarian who doesn't have access to feats outside the PHB.

NRG

Crothian

First Post
My Barbarian has Improved Toughness, Power Attack, Cleave, and Extra Rage.

I also like like alternative Barbarian packages in Unearthed Arcana. I took the Ape one so he is a great climber.

Elephant

First Post
RangerWickett said:

I'd agree that those are useful Bbn feats, but ...

Firebeetle said:
I'm interested in PHB feats only here.

They don't seem terribly relevant.

My suggestions are: Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Imp Crit, and Cleave. I'd have to do more thinking before picking any others for a Bbn. Maybe Weapon Specialization with some Fighter multiclassing.

Remove ads