• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best feats for a barbarian?

Bad Paper

First Post
so far: Iron Will, Power Attack, Cleave, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip. Haven't decided beyond that, but am considering the Dodge-Mobility-Spring Attack-Whirlwind Attack chain.

Darklone

Nifft said:
Actually the only thing we're sure of is Int is his dump stat. Given how often he up-stages Nale, I'll bet he actually has a decent Charisma bonus.

Cheers, -- N
Thog is multiclass bbn/brd. Where's firebeetle if you need him? Half-orc barbarbaraians are borken!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
And, y'know, the actual Celts? ;)

Which is why their charges were so terrifying. I know one thing: If I were standing on a battlefield and a horde of naked, painted guys frothing at the mouth would charge me, I'd get the hell out of there. Dying would be among the better prospects in such a fight!

Old Gumphrey

First Post
RangerWickett said:
A 10th level barbarian with a 26 AC? The heck? I suppose if you put all your money in defenses (you are supposed to have about 49k in money at 10th level), sure. You could have +3 mithral full plate (19,500), +1 animated heavy shield (9,330), +2 ring of protection (8,000), +2 amulet of natural armor (8,000), and gloves of dexterity +2 (4,000), with a starting Dexterity of 14. You end up with an AC of 31 (+11 armor, +3 shield, +2 deflection, +2 natural, +3 dexterity).

Of course, when I made a character with those feats, I had a Dexterity of 8, wore no armor, and liked to have the party wizard enlarge me. With my base AC of 9, at 6th level I could be large (-1 from lower Dex, -1 from size), charge (-2), be offensive (-4), and recklessly raging (-4), while combat bruting (-6). My AC reached -9. *grin*

Of course, with a falchion I had a +18 attack bonus (+6 base, +1 weapon, +4 base strength, +1 enlarged strength, -1 size penalty, +3 rage, +2 reckless, and +2 charge), and dealt 2d6+25 damage (large falchion, +1 weapon, +6 base strength, +1.5 enlarged strength, +4.5 raged strength, and +12 power attack).

At 10th level with the character, I would have spent my money on my weapon, on potions of flying and enlarge, and a belt of strength and amulet of health. And lots of potions of cure light wounds.

If you're not Leap Attacking you're not dealing damage.

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Which is why their charges were so terrifying. I know one thing: If I were standing on a battlefield and a horde of naked, painted guys frothing at the mouth would charge me, I'd get the hell out of there. Dying would be among the better prospects in such a fight!
Well, yes, a Celtic charge was annihiliation incarnate to most, and it scared the crap out of conscripts and seasoned warriors alike. But if they charged against a good defensive formation such as the phalanx, the Celts would be torn apart, especially against pikes (Celt-kabob).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'm not just talking about annihilation. I mean, as soldier, you're used to look death in the eye.

But a bunch of naked guys with garish body paint rushing you? I would fear for more than my life! :p

Naked lasses, on the other hand.... ;)

Your average fantasy amazon army isn't far from that. Skimpy Clothing seems to be a must for fantasy chicks. The Glorious She-Horde of Amazonia's battle cry is reputed to be "GIVE ME YOUR DAMN SHIRT I'M FREEZING!"

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Your average fantasy amazon army isn't far from that. Skimpy Clothing seems to be a must for fantasy chicks. The Glorious She-Horde of Amazonia's battle cry is reputed to be "GIVE ME YOUR DAMN SHIRT I'M FREEZING!"

Ah, yes. Fantasy RPGs, the games where it seems that most women wear armor that has no protective value whatsoever... "Nice Full Plate, Bob. And I like your Strips-Of-Cloth-Worn-Only-To-Cover-The-Naughty-Bits, too, Angela!" Ironically, they both seem to offer the same protection against gigantic monsters... Ladies, don't be afraid to break the stereotype! I encourage you, play a Fighter, wear armor that covers your belly, and don't be afraid to be a female Half-Orc! (And if you do play a Half-Orc, for the love of god, cover up!)

Sejs

First Post
Nazhkandrias said:
Ah, yes. Fantasy RPGs, the games where it seems that most women wear armor that has no protective value whatsoever... "Nice Full Plate, Bob. And I like your Strips-Of-Cloth-Worn-Only-To-Cover-The-Naughty-Bits, too, Angela!" Ironically, they both seem to offer the same protection against gigantic monsters... Ladies, don't be afraid to break the stereotype! I encourage you, play a Fighter, wear armor that covers your belly, and don't be afraid to be a female Half-Orc! (And if you do play a Half-Orc, for the love of god, cover up!)

Wouldn't breaking the stereotype be playing a smoulderingly hot warrior woman, who is covered from head to toe, or a much less attractive efficiency-minded warrior woman who lets it all hang out?

C'mon, let's see those female dwarves in nothing but a platemail bikini! Half orc women with little more than a greataxe and a tusky smile!

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Sejs said:
C'mon, let's see those female dwarves in nothing but a platemail bikini! Half orc women with little more than a greataxe and a tusky smile!
And charismatic elves in Mountain Plate, don't forget that.

But, we're getting a bit off topic. Firebeetle, when you asked for best feats, you didn't really specify what kind of Barbarian you were going for. Best feats are never universal - it all depends on what style of combat you want to follow. Archetypal melee powerhouse damage dealer? Never-miss attacker? Critical hit demon? Mounted melee nightmare? Mounted RANGED nightmare? Front-line archer? Sniper? Basher? Smasher? Crasher? The possibilities are as endless as there are munchkins in D&D!

Pickaxe

Explorer
How about Blindfight? Yes, they get part of the benefit from Uncanny Dodge, but it seems like a blind-fighting barbarian in a fog cloud would have a distinct advantage over his foes. I have a dwarf barbarian with Power Attack and Cleave, and I was considering Blindfight for his 6th level feat. (It might also be the fact that we just finished fighting a bunch of grimlocks using concealment to their advantage.)

--Axe

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads