• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best feats for a barbarian?

Nazhkandrias

First Post
You know, a Mounted Combat Barbarian is a force to be reckoned with! Try this...

Barbarian mounted on Dire Wolf, armed with Lance (or Glaive, if you don't want to be too charge-dependent; please note that while you can use a Lance one-handed while mounted, don't, take advantage of Power Attack and high Strength), taking Power Attack, Mounted Combat, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, Combat Reflexes, and various examples of the feats used above.

This results in a Barbarian that uses the reach weapon to their advantage (lots of AoOs), along with forgoing the need for Spring Attack (since the wolf can attack and trip anybody who gets too close). Their charges are devastating, their mount is fierce, they have good close-in combat ability, they do tons of damage, and they're cool as hell. I have a player that's a mounted Half-Orc Barbarian, armed with a Glaive and the feat selection above, and they kick butt.

Also consider taking Heavy Armor Proficiency. Your Fast Movement doesn't apply on a Wolf, and you can take all of the AC you can get. I always recommend that mounted warriors use heavy armor, since almost all of the drawbacks are negated. You aren't hit by reduced movement speed, reduced running ability, and the penalty to a high Dex score is outweighed by the AC change from Breastplate to Full Plate. Combine a set of Adamantine Full Plate (extra DR) with the Barbarian's DR, and you're invincible. Consider getting the mount good barding, too. For a brawler, tank-ish mounted warrior, use Full Plate Barding, but you can go with Breastplate or Chain Shirt, too.

Finally, to deal with the problem of your mount being weaker than you are and possibly dying, cast most defensive spells on the mount, or, if you party with a Druid, hop on their Animal Companion (assuming they'll let you). Worst case scenario, get the party Wizard to cast Mount or some sort of Extended Summon Monster spell. Also, get a bigger mount whenver the opportunity arises. If you find yourself with a trained 6 HD Dire Wolf, and the Druid befriends a 9 HD untrained Dire Wolf, by all means, get somebody to train the better one!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
hong said:
Extra Music

Oh, you said BARB. I thought you said BARD. My bad.
It's easy to jump to that conclusion when you have a Bayesian prior for Firebeetle threads with words to the effect of X Y Z 'bar...'

I admit that I did so as well when I first saw the thread ;)

frankthedm

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I'm guessing you really like your Barbarians to be living missiles--fire them off at a charge to do massive damage and self-destruct :lol: That's a cool image!

If the monster has Power Attack and multiple natural weapons (dragons are a good example), there's very little chance to survive a Reckless Rage, Reckless Offense, Shock Trooper charge unless the enemy dies on the charge.
Won't you need some sort of "Pounce" to get multiple attacks while charging. Say...What level would a feral minotaur have to be to have all the feats to pull that off ?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Leadership.

One barbarian is nasty. A group of barbarians is a HORDE! :)

Power Attack and Cleave are also good, natch. Iron Will is good for your fellow party members' peace of mind.

A little out there, but...

Improved Unarmed Strike. For bar fights. :) And if you got the stats for it, Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows, because it is kinda cool to throw you enemy's ax back at their own head.

Well that is 7 feats. If you are a pre-epic half-orc you are full!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I'm guessing you really like your Barbarians to be living missiles--fire them off at a charge to do massive damage and self-destruct :lol: That's a cool image!

Well, whatever survives that assault probably has no problems hitting him with or without the AC penalty.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:

I believe it is a not-too-inaccurate portrayal of the Celts vs. the Romans. The Celts did one massive enraged charge, which was devastating, but if the Roman legion held, then the Celts were dead meat.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
Well, whatever survives that assault probably has no problems hitting him with or without the AC penalty.
But now it can hit the Barbarian automatically on a full Power Attack. For instance, a Full Power Attacking Young Adult dragon has only +8 to hit (because it just Power Attacked for 19), and lower on its not claw attacks (maybe +6 with Multiattack). It's a CR 10 opponent, so we'll make RW's Barbarian level 10, which means he Shock Troopered for 10, leaving him at his regular AC - 18. Let's be generous and say that the Barbarian has 26 AC normally. So the dragon would barely ever hit with that Power Attack (needs 18 for claws, 20 else). Now that AC is 8. Free hits except on a 1.

Particle_Man said:
I believe it is a not-too-inaccurate portrayal of the Celts vs. the Romans. The Celts did one massive enraged charge, which was devastating, but if the Roman legion held, then the Celts were dead meat.

True that, and that's a really cool image--that feat combo is the perfect way to represent that style of fighting. For extra style points, since the enemy hits you anyway, ditch all armour and clothing and just wear war paint!

Remove ads