• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best published 4e adventures for 1st level?

buzz

Adventurer
I know there have been threads on this in the past, but the last one I found was from almost a year ago, so I figured more collective wisdom will have since accumulated. :)

I'm looking for recommendations for a low-level (1st, ideally) adventure that has a good mix of combat, exploration, and roleplaying. I am going to be running it for a group of people who are not regular D&D players.

All of the WotC stuff I have run so far (H1, H2, some stuff from Dungeon) have been pretty much: Fight A -> Fight B -> Fight C -> End. I'd love to find a published product that was less combat-focused and not so linear.

Also, I'd prefer not to do any conversions of older edition products.

So, any help is appreciated.

S'mon

Legend
but be aware that the first one, Sellswords of Punjar, is a 4e adventure in name and statblocks only.

In fact it's a re-statted and not re-engineered or re-mapped thing.

I have it and quite like it, but as is the intent with DCCs there is no non-combat roleplaying that I can discern, it's still all fight-fight-fight.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
War of the Burning Sky #1 - The Scouring of Gate Pass. I am, of course, biased.

Although I would normally agree that Scouring is a great mod, for this particular example I don't think it's a good fit. Maybe for when the group is more established and willing to take that long journey down the road of a campaign, but for this particular group, I think something shorter and more concise and less open-ended would be a better fit.

Pour

First Post
Sorry you didn't like H1, but if I can just drop a bit of defense for it...

Keep on the Shadowfell is my choice for three reasons, really. One, it's a free download on the WotC site. Secondly, there is plenty of token and online table support (depending if you play live or online). And I guess most importantly, for me, is that it was the first 4e adventure I ran with entirely green players starting level one and they 'got' what D&D was all about. Granted it's kind of generic from the standpoint of an edition veteran, and obviously the designer's first try at a mod, it still produced a lot of fun for me and my players.

I'm currently a player in Rescue at Riverroar, the first adventure in the Scales of War AP, and so far I've had a lot of fun.

Also, The Village of Hommlet has had some pretty stellar reviews, except it was a DM Reward through WotC and sadly not a module for sale. Don't feel bad, though, I wasn't able to get one either.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
I wouldn't say that I disliked H1. I think it's was a pretty good first adventure for 4e as a product line. Honestly, it's not a bad choice for the group of newbies with whom I will be playing. However, I assumed that publishers (WotC and otherwise) have learned more about 4e adventure design since then, so I wanted to get an idea of what else is out there.

Thanks, and keep the recommendations coming, folks.

Daern

Explorer
I like the Chaos Scar mini adventures for an intro. They are interesting and small. I like that you can play out a story in a session or two. I think that's good for beginning D&Ders. If I were to do a Chaos Scar game I'd probabll add enounters from KotS as well, I love the maps.

Windjammer

Adventurer
I assumed that publishers (WotC and otherwise) have learned more about 4e adventure design since then

Not really, no. Check out the review by Jacob Gorbin on Seekers of the Ashen Crown [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Seekers-Ashen-Crown-Adventure-Eberron/dp/078695017X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267463411&sr=8-1"]here[/ame]. If he's right, the best approximation to a partial break from the WotC mold you describe in your OP is the adventure he reviews - Seekers of the Ashen Crown. That starts at level 2, though, and sort of assumes you used the level 1 adventure in the Eberron CG.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads