• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best published 4e adventures for 1st level?

Any RPGA Living Forgotten Realms module in the 1st-4th range.

A good one might be Radiant Vessel of Thesk (CORE1-2).

Here's Spoilers:

First the players have to figure out what is being referred to by the name "radiant vessel", (via attending a funeral and investigation of a murder), then there's a pursuit into Thay, and a delve into a dungeon. And the PCs have to deliver a baby during combat, which is pretty fun.

darjr

I crit!
Let me second or third or whatever the 'Radiant Vessel of Thesk'.

The halfling can really be played up, the funeral is fantastic, full of potential in a wake like circus atmosphere with the tension of grieving just boiling under the surface and the final combat can turn on a dime. It really can be full of emotional tension and panicked strife all while in the middle of combat.

Nebulous

Legend
However, I assumed that publishers (WotC and otherwise) have learned more about 4e adventure design since then, so I wanted to get an idea of what else is out there.

Actually no, i have not noticed this trend with WotC. If anything, they might get worse. Personally i thought that Keep on the Shadowfell was a great introductory adventure (I DMed it), but i also changed things around to make it more "mine". Running it purely be the book would have been sorta of grindy, but fortunately i scoured Enworld for advice while running it and was warned of several potential weak places in the story that i tried to flesh out.

occam

Adventurer
The Village of Hommlet has had some pretty stellar reviews, except it was a DM Reward through WotC and sadly not a module for sale. Don't feel bad, though, I wasn't able to get one either.

I just received The Village of Hommlet not long ago and haven't played it yet, but it does look good, with plenty of roleplaying support in the village, and fun encounters at the Moathouse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads