D&D General What are the Common Tropes of Dnd?

Rhenny

Adventurer
Evil villain and minions. Sometimes having to find that evil villain through the course of a campaign.

Betrayal by an NPC that was thought to be an ally.

The phrase, “roll for initiative!”

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
A Wizard Did It. If there's something in the world that doesn't make sense, it's because of magic. It doesn't matter if it's a contradiction of physics or biology, internal inconsistencies of lore, or how the cultures and history of the world doesn't make sense, because the answer is always "A Wizard Did It" (or sometimes a god or just a random effect of wild magic).

GuyBoy

Hero
The Kobold Trap; Just because kobolds are good at this, and it teaches us all that they are tough opponents.

The Rival Party; I actually think this trope grew quickly around 3e as I can’t recall it much before then, but it’s a good’un.

The Succubus as Prisoner; Not all tropes are particularly acceptable, but this one still rears it’s head.

The Bar Room Brawl; I remember an early White Dwarf on this and it’s rolled ever since.

GuyBoy

Hero
The dwarf with a Scottish accent. The rogue with a London accent. The peasant farmer with a Devon accent: Why??? Oh, and is there a US equivalent?

The awkward conversation with the last surviving bad guy; Because both players and DM want to have some information, even if it is extremely unlikely that someone would actually talk in this circumstance.

The random assortment of unrelated treasure; Because some DMs don't reconsider what they've rolled on the random treasure list.

The insane conflict escalation; Because it's a fantasy game you're allowed to stab someone for looking funny.

The pet; Because all players fall in love with the first friendly NPC that's given to them by the DM.

Starting the adventure in a tavern; Because that's how it's done.

aco175

Legend
The dwarf with a Scottish accent. The rogue with a London accent. The peasant farmer with a Devon accent: Why??? Oh, and is there a US equivalent?
Not sure I can tell those apart. Is that the difference between Highlander, James Bond and My Fair Lady.

In America I think we have New York, Boston, and John Wayne.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
The Door: Is it locked? Is it trapped? Maybe it's just a completely normal door? Maybe it's a mimic in disguise? What's behind it? Is there anything behind it? Either way, the party will became momentarily paralyzed with indecision as they face this mysterious foe.

GuyBoy

Hero
Not sure I can tell those apart. Is that the difference between Highlander, James Bond and My Fair Lady.

In America I think we have New York, Boston, and John Wayne.
As a general rule, players imitating a Scottish accent will say, “och aye” a lot, London will get “gorblimey guv’nor” and Devon will get “ooh arr” (as will a pirate). I’m actually from London, and never say gorblimey guv’nor!
I guess it’s funny in a way.

I’ve been blessed to travel to all 50 US states and I love the regional accents, including the John Wayne.
My favourite accent joke:
What is a foible?

It’s wants a cat coughs up in New York.

I’ll get my coat, gorblimey guv’nor

Remove ads