D&D 5E What are the differences between PC and NPC versions of monster races?

Lucas Yew

Explorer
As the title, what kind of differences do such races as goblins and orcs, who had their own entry in the MM rather that relying on the usage of the DMG adjustment chart on the generic NPC list, have in between the monster version and the PC version? Especially on the defined abilities other than numerical bonuses?

I would really appreciate the full list of such racial differences as of now so it can help me write up a whole variant rule on making a more "simulationist" in-game-universe (starting with anything having to do with CR replaced by appropriate HD, such as Turn Undead and NPC proficiency, and such).

P.S. On ability score adjustments, though, I'm quite lenient because it can be winged as a fluke in rolling up individual NPCs. But not on abilities that a monster version has, but is either explicitly absent from a PC version's build choice or being an illegal combination.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
PC races (like those found in the PHB) and the racial traits for NPC humanoids found in the chart in the DMG both represent qualities common to all members of a particular race. If you want to represent the typical individual member of such a race, just apply one of those to the Commoner NPC template.

MM entries for humanoid races, on the other hand, represent the “regular” combatant member of that race that is typically met in battle.

Bugbears, IMO, are an example of a particularly warlike race in which the MM version is typical of the race in general. I think the same is true for non-humanoid races, like giants.

aco175

Legend
Similar to how humans are listed in that they are general or standard human. Same for goblins and such where PC versions are heroic versions and do not need to follow MM rules.

guachi

Hero
I had fun with that kobold trait in a game (specifically, UK2 The Sentinel from 1984).

I reflavored the xvarts as kobolds because, well, kobold the word is related to cobalt the color. And cobalt is blue and so are xvarts. Also, kobolds are small like xvarts.

In any event, one PC wanted to take a kobold as a hostage/slave and I groveled and sniveled like nobody's business and convinced the PCs to exchange his captivity for helping the PCs. Which he did.

Good times! Sometimes the fluff is really helpful for filling in where my imagination fails.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases