What are the most compelling reasons to switch from PF 1 to PF 2?

I don't want to spend (and I don't want my players spending) any more time thinking how can get every possible + to get a better critical.

It's the same as thinking about how I can raise my general attack -- sorry if I made it seem it was something different. It basically means that even if you are pretty certain to hit (or be hit) it's worth thinking about improving the odds in your favor. If you don't want to spend time thinking about how to improve your odds, then PF in general is probably not a great choice as it's pretty focused on tactical combat.

dave2008

Legend
It's the same as thinking about how I can raise my general attack -- sorry if I made it seem it was something different. It basically means that even if you are pretty certain to hit (or be hit) it's worth thinking about improving the odds in your favor. If you don't want to spend time thinking about how to improve your odds, then PF in general is probably not a great choice as it's pretty focused on tactical combat.
Yep, my players are not tactically minded. That being said, they still enjoyed 4e immensely.

Ian Danton

Explorer
Apologies for answering the opposite question to the title. However I am struggling with the treasure rules. It "feels" stingy. At the lower levels I am currently playing with anyway. I agree with lots of the positive points above. A much tighter maths system for encounters. The three action economy is excellent (brilliantly translated for spells). Choices are not overwhelming while still being flexible for character development....... and yet...... I find myself yearning for a proper treasure chest with more than a silver belt buckle and a usable, but second hand set of Half Plate.........

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Apologies for answering the opposite question to the title. However I am struggling with the treasure rules. It "feels" stingy. At the lower levels I am currently playing with anyway.
Everything is denominated in gp, but Pathfinder 2e actually uses a silver-based economy. This was more apparent in the playtest when most prices were listed in sp—except for magic items, which were in gp. Distinguishing between mundane and extraordinary items via pricing was a neat idea but probably a bit confusing.

Rhianni32

Adventurer
Apologies for answering the opposite question to the title. However I am struggling with the treasure rules. It "feels" stingy.

As a GM I got the opposite feeling. Each level a PC gets 1 permanent items and 1.5consumables and enough gold to roughly buy 1/2 another permanent item of their level, selling the unwanted magic items with their gold allows for their choice of 1 permanent item of their level. (All roughly speaking on averages magic item costs differ but have a general range).

Comfortable cost of living is only 1 GP per week .

Its not the same feeling as D&D where you open a chest of thousands of gold but given that economy was it really exciting to get seeing as you turn that entire chest into 1 magic item at the next trip to town?

I'll keep my reasons simple. I ran PF1E from day one to 2014 then took a break and went to 5E. I ran some more 1E last year with a good group for a bit. Adopting 5E for me boils down to this:

1. I have minimal prep time to GM and I am the only GM for the group. Pathfinder 2E maximizes my prep time and is very easy to run.

2. Running it at the table after just a few sessions got very intuitive.

3. There is a higher degree of risk/reward and tactical consideration in PF2E than I see in PF1E. I like that.

4. It's deadlier, and you can tell stories with higher stakes as a result.

5. Although I love PF1E, it's a hard sell these days in my area, and breaks down badly after level 10. So far PF2E does not (I have a level 12 game going right now just to test it out at high level; so far so good).

....In the end, no need to switch if you all are happy with PF1E. But if you are looking for something different and interesting, and also easier to run and prep for as GM, PF2E is a blast.

Remove ads