D&D General what are the setting functions of elves?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
To be honest, I've never looked. Just left mine on the shelf and it always worked as intended. Is there a manual or do I have to figure it out all by my elf? I mean, I can handle being an elf-starter, but it really is a lot easier if I can get official info. I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and don't always have the best elf control when it comes to messing with stuff until it breaks...

I read this and thought well why can’t Orcs be the ancient race who once walked with gods, built and empire then fell into savagery - then remembered that is the History of the Irda ogres

So there you go Elves v Ogres
What if (choose a race) were the first being created by the gods and rule the world for a long time. It’s the fun of world building!

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I read this and thought well why can’t Orcs be the ancient race who once walked with gods, built and empire then fell into savagery - then remembered that is the History of the Irda ogres

So there you go Elves v Ogres
for a more conan style setting it would really work.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think you've learned that reduction of a race to a singular trope is uncommon. Most of the responses here show much variation in elf-dom. Even the idea that ogres must be attached to a savage land is countered by the way they were brought up, via Dragonlance where they were powerful mystics.

A stronger guide to creation is to create what is necessary for the story. If your story is conflict with elves, start thinking about why the heroes hate elves. What bonds emerge from that? How would the current races fit into elf hate? What new or uncommon races have joined this conflict?

Worry less about role and more about story

Mind of tempest

I think you've learned that reduction of a race to a singular trope is uncommon. Most of the responses here show much variation in elf-dom. Even the idea that ogres must be attached to a savage land is countered by the way they were brought up, via Dragonlance where they were powerful mystics.

A stronger guide to creation is to create what is necessary for the story. If your story is conflict with elves, start thinking about why the heroes hate elves. What bonds emerge from that? How would the current races fit into elf hate? What new or uncommon races have joined this conflict?

Worry less about role and more about story
I am looking for the description of the slot elves fit in the niche in settings for them this has nothing to do with plot.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I am looking for the description of the slot elves fit in the niche in settings for them this has nothing to do with plot.
Your standard elf niche is that IMO they’re The Ones Who Know Things, or know how to go about finding out, prophecies, magical knowledge, medicine, translating languages, planetary alignments, history, identifying objects, nature, generally whatever you need to know, the elves will typically be the ones with an answer

Mind of tempest

Your standard elf niche is that IMO they’re The Ones Who Know Things, or know how to go about finding out, prophecies, magical knowledge, medicine, translating languages, planetary alignments, history, identifying objects, nature, generally whatever you need to know, the elves will typically be the ones with an answer
yeah, how does that form into something that is not just an exposition, the setting role that amounts to?

Remove ads