D&D General what are the setting functions of elves?

MarkB

Legend
If elves had a slogan, it would be "Live slow, die old." They know they have a lot of time in which to do everything, and they also know that they have a lot more life to lose than most, so they tend to take things steady and not rush into anything - though elf adventurers tend to be exceptions to that norm.

jgsugden

Legend
For my Homebrew, the elves and dwarves were the creation of the Angels that were created by the first Gods. As such, they have roles in history and divinity. Essentially, the first intelligent creatures were Dragons. 15,000 years later we saw Giants created. 6,000 years later we saw the creation of Angels. Then, the Elves and Dwarves are created 500 years later. Gnomes, Halflings, Fey, Aasimar and Tielflings follow 700 years later. Then Orcs and Goblins 1300 years later. Duergar, Drow and Gith spawn about 2000 years later. Following that, there is roughly 1,000 years before the majority of the remaining races are created by the Gods (which was about 3500 years ago).

Essentially, Elves and Dwarves took over the Prime and had 500 years to 'conquer' it. Then they saw other races introduced over 5000 years, but they were the two dominant medium humanoids for those 5000 years (really more like 7000 years) before other heritages began to overtake them. In a sense, they built the historical world that is the source of all of the ruins that are explored in adventures. They are the builders of my dungeons.

RainOnTheSun

Explorer
Instead of the elves being the oldest race, sometimes I think about a setting where they're the youngest. They seem like "humans, but better" because they were specifically created to be humans, but better. Less fey and more replicant.

Yaarel

He Mage
Instead of the elves being the oldest race, sometimes I think about a setting where they're the youngest. They seem like "humans, but better" because they were specifically created to be humans, but better. Less fey and more replicant.
This echoing of human characteristics happens naturally, as elven fates entangle the fates of humans. Humans are a special fascination, even while other humanoids are of interest. Humans − and even the wellbeing of humans − are central to elven longterm plans.

Since the elder elves are elsewhere, the younger elves are young, discovering the world around them for themselves. Elves consider this personal exploration an important part of the growing up process.

Each generation can see fresh insights into the world. When becoming adult, they keep the rest of the elder elves in tune with the realities that are going on.

If elves had a slogan, it would be "Live slow, die old."
I view elves as highly industrious, and innovative, mainly with regard to magical research. Most of their magical accomplishments remain within their elven communities, including each fey court, with access restrictions beyond elven communities. There is a kind of magical arms race. The elves direct their magic advancements toward longterm goals, but spin-off comforts are in casual use. Not only arcane innovations, but every power source: arcane, divine, psionic, and primal. These sources help toward the engineering of fates of worlds toward the longterm goals.

The curiosity about the magical sources eventually led a branch of them to materialize into the material plane to become creatures of flesh and blood, in order to investigate the martial power source. Whence a faction are gishy elves now harmonizing magic and martial.

For my Homebrew, the elves and dwarves were the creation of the Angels that were created by the first Gods. As such, they have roles in history and divinity. Essentially, the first intelligent creatures were Dragons. 15,000 years later we saw Giants created. 6,000 years later we saw the creation of Angels. Then, the Elves and Dwarves are created 500 years later. Gnomes, Halflings, Fey, Aasimar and Tielflings follow 700 years later. Then Orcs and Goblins 1300 years later. Duergar, Drow and Gith spawn about 2000 years later. Following that, there is roughly 1,000 years before the majority of the remaining races are created by the Gods (which was about 3500 years ago).

Essentially, Elves and Dwarves took over the Prime and had 500 years to 'conquer' it. Then they saw other races introduced over 5000 years, but they were the two dominant medium humanoids for those 5000 years (really more like 7000 years) before other heritages began to overtake them. In a sense, they built the historical world that is the source of all of the ruins that are explored in adventures. They are the builders of my dungeons.
My campaigns view the dwarves as "anti-elves". (The dvergar are also fates, like alfar.) Where elven magic associates more so with success and good fortune, the dwarven magic associates more so with futility and ill fortune. But inflicting ill fortune on a dangerous enemy can be useful, thus dwarves tend to make the best magical weapons. Some dwarves are ironically called "elves" because of how helpful their curses prove to be.

Now that ability score improvements are part of ability score generation and no longer part of race selection, it is much easier for a dwarven culture to master magic. So while there is a Tolkien-esque martial dwarf culture, there is also a Norse-esque dwarf culture that is especially known for magic.

The successful fates of the elves associate with the positivity plane, along with the fey plane and elemental air-fire. Oppositely, the futile fates of the dwarves associate with the negativity plane, along with the shadow plane and elemental earth-water.

The shadow dwarves tend to be the same heights as humans, but with deathly complexions. They are also goodlooking, but while they arent undead, they have that vibe. They spend life entombed within rock and only venturing onto the surface during a thick fog or a dark night. They sometimes shapechange into animals in order to be in direct sunlight. They feel affinity with other dwarves, albeit tend to spook them.

Last edited:

In my grand quest to make something that can fill the role of elf without being an elf I realised that outside of being overly romanticised and if left in any environment spawning a new type with a retroactive history of ten thousand years.
I do not really grasp outside of being magic call and mystical in a vague sense what they bring to a setting and why a player might play them outside of magic being overly romanticised and being able to outlive most nations.
anyone got ideas as I am lost?
I think one way to look at them is outside the game. Remember, your players bring preset notions as to what these races are, either through movies, books, video games, or other TTRPGs. This part seems wholly ignored by people complaining about any race, be it elf, dwarf, minotaur, etc. These races have deep rooted ideas, billions of synapse connections already developed, long before you build your world. So the answer is, they fit into the setting because they are already there in your players' heads.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I think one way to look at them is outside the game. Remember, your players bring preset notions as to what these races are, either through movies, books, video games, or other TTRPGs. This part seems wholly ignored by people complaining about any race, be it elf, dwarf, minotaur, etc. These races have deep rooted ideas, billions of synapse connections already developed, long before you build your world. So the answer is, they fit into the setting because they are already there in your players' heads.
how is it everyone keeps giving me things I did not ask for?

this is not about the role of an individual elf
this is not about the roles elves occupy but the area of sapient people design the elves have monopolised
the role they occupy in setting like the way we have a thousand strong guy races for different settings I want to know exactly the area elves have consumed so I can make competition for it why is this so hard to get across?

niklinna

satisfied?
Welcome to enworld, and how we do things!

this is not about the roles elves occupy but the area of sapient people design the elves have monopolised
the role they occupy in setting like the way we have a thousand strong guy races for different settings I want to know exactly the area elves have consumed so I can make competition for it why is this so hard to get across?
Maybe, perhaps, there is no "exactly". Also, competition comes in many shapes and forms. Are you looking for another faction in the setting/background that is in competition with elves? If so, you could find any number of things they are in competition for, or disagreement/conflict over. Are you looking for some group to take the place of elves, and there are no elves at all? Why does that spot—whatever it is—even need to be filled?

In Tolkien, elves were in contrast with dwarves, as the tree-loving nature folk who made (and guarded) wonderful treasures above ground (well above ground, in some cases), whereas the dwarves lived under the earth and made (and hoarded) wonderful treasures there. Elves were tall, dwarves were short-ish. Elves were graceful and nunimous and elegant and wonderful, dwarves were, well, earthier, coarser, and rather rebellious (but not too rebellious).

In Tolkien, elves were directly opposed to orcs, in just about every literal and visceral sense. They hated each other and had a kill-on-sight policy. The orcs were "made" by the equivalent of Satan, after all, and elves had been created by the agents of God, and just shy of angels themselves.

In Tolkien, elves were immortal and never-changing and, while occasionally mistaken, never wrong, while humans were young and fragile and died quickly and quite often made not just bad but wrong decisions that led to untold woe. And yet the elves saw their time on Middle Earth was over and headed west across the sea, leaving earth to the humans. For...reasons.

Is there a single exact area this one author's elves have consumed? Yeah, you could argue so. But it's all in contrast to several different things, without which elves would be even more boring than they are on their own.

At least they have pointy ears.

Hippies that feud with Bigfoot for control of the woods?

Scribe

Legend
Sterotypically, it's as noted.

An ancient race, powerful magically, who guard or horde secrets and knowledge, while having the peak of their civilization in a past age.

Remove ads