D&D General what are the setting functions of elves?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Your standard elf niche is that IMO they’re The Ones Who Know Things, or know how to go about finding out, prophecies, magical knowledge, medicine, translating languages, planetary alignments, history, identifying objects, nature, generally whatever you need to know, the elves will typically be the ones with an answer
Really? I’m more inclined to give that knowledge to Gnomes or humans really, elves have memory of past events but I’ve not really imagined them as researcher types

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Really? I’m more inclined to give that knowledge to Gnomes or humans really, elves have memory of past events but I’ve not really imagined them as researcher types
Okay fair, maybe not so much researchers but definitely collectors of knowledge, retaining and remembering things that have passed and been long forgotten by the other races.

Yaarel

He Mage
The elves research magic, including epic magic, floating cities, powerful items, and so on.

Comparing tech, elves are more about building high energy particle colliders, but they craft gadgets too.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Cultural scale?
big scale not individuals but the group?
But, people have told you that there many niches, often co-occupied.

No race offers a single niche
okay, then can you define the niches then?
The speedy and/or smart guy
zoom in on the smart guy and elaborate on it?
gnomes lore says they do not care for history at all some do not even have a calendar.

Remove ads