• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are the "True Issues" with 5e?

Really? I know for a fact folks on here have specifically told me it shouldn't be. That it is exactly fine the way it is, or perhaps needing only a very slight touch-up, and that expecting a book called a Dungeon Master's Guide to actually, y'know, guide was genuinely ridiculous.
In the early you noted, 2014-2018, "The DMG is fine, good even!" was a normal sentiment. I dunno if it was the majority sentiment, but it was common.

However, since about 2020, the mainstream sentiment has largely been "The DMG kind of totally sucks", and the idea that it should be root-and-branch redone is completely uncontroversial at this point.

So I gotta agree with @Oofta here. The vast majority of people discussing D&D, whether it's on here, on reddit, on podcasts/Youtube thing the DMG for 5E is at best weak.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Absolutely not. This sort of commentary is in fact downright unhelp and I would suggest intentionally disingenuous, because I feel like you know that isn't true.

None of that solves the gold problem, you're citing random things you could, technically, in theory, maybe spent gold on, when you know perfectly well that the game doesn't really support that in the way previous editions have. You're even citing an adventure for god's presumably it has boats for sale or something?
If those are all the places that you can find support on "things to buy", then in the very least, I think they've proved that those things need to be COMPILED (and probably clarified and expanded upon).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The only thing floating to the top far is the index, I cannot recall a single person that has ever liked 5es index, it’s at best barely tolerable. So perhaps that is it, annyone actually want to claim they think 5es index is decent?
Index bad, and also DM guidance is awful. The game just does not help DMs run the game well.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I agree it doesn't fit the fiction of an Avatar Bender, it was probavly a bad idea to try on that framework at all, and thst is where the designers went wrong: botching the narratice. But as an effective Monk, it is fine. It's not a quote-unquote "true issue".
It isn’t fine. It’s poorly designed. It’s the equivalent of if the arcane trickster got no features other than Spellcasting, and only learned a few spells over the course of the entire subclass progression. It also prices its abilities at a higher rate than any other monk subclass, and even JC has said that’s a problem.

And the failure is not that they failed to make the Avatar, because that isn’t actually what the subclass is, it’s just drawing on some of the same influences. The failure is entirely mechanical. It’s a bad subclass.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Ability Score Balance: DEX and CHA are far more attractive as secondary or tertiary scores than STR and INT, and while traditionally STR focused classes can easily substitute DEX, traditionally DEX focused classes have a hard time doing the same with STR.

More broadly, when increasing ability scores, non-primary scores that only contribute to skills and saves have to compete on a 1:1 basis with primary scores that determine a character's baseline combat effectiveness while also contributing to skills and saves. This creates a dynamic where primary ASIs are usually better than feats, which are usually better than non-primary ASIs, when ideally all three of them would be competitive with one another.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not saying anyone should agree with this list.....

Monsters were totally boring, that's improving, but still isn't great.

Attacks of opportunity discourage so much. I know why they're there....

Fighters have little to do.

There is no advanced version with a lot more interesting stuff to do during combat.

Adventure support from WotC is too focused on campaigns.

No dungeon or dragon magazine with me ideas and small doses of material.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads