D&D 5E What are the "True Issues" with 5e?

Stalker0

Legend
As always, most things are in the eyes of the beholder. As it is with 5e; most of us have our preferences and problems with the edition based on our own desires. But are there certain things we can boil down to say "as a group, we can agree that this is a true issue with the edition". Things in the edition that very few would say "I like it this way", and almost all would prefer some change in the direction.

I imagine such a list might be very small all said and done, but I'm curious if such a thing might exist.

I only have one to start off with:

The gold issue: While many of us might argue what gold should be used for....I think we can all agree that 5e provides a lot of treasure that ultimately has no purpose in the game. What is the use of a reward that has no value? Whether the edition should remove gold in favor of other rewards, or reward gold more....I hope we can agree that the current middle state is not a good design space.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
In answer to your question, I have rarely seen anyone say gold is really essential barring initial armor purchases and campaign specific situations.

We don’t need it for experience upkeep or followers in most games I have participated in or observed.

I don’t think there is going to be consensus on many things. I see people rail all the time and I am thinking “for real?”

Additionally, games and their assumptions are very different.

The one thing I have not seen debated much is the layout of the books. It’s not campaign dependent and the indices etc are what they are. I think even the authors see some missed opportunities there.

I agree with the gold issue. The only things that are actually priceless have some magical restriction so they only work when freely given.

I don't need a complex economy simulator but, Jiminy Cricket, I'd like some kind of basic sanity between the effort to create something, the effect it can generate and its final value.

I disliked it from a player disparity aspect, but 3e casters spending xp to make items at least created an external constraint on item creation.

Remove ads