Edition 4: Mentzer Basic(1983)
Edition 5: Denning Basic(1991)
Edition 6: Stewart Basic(1994)

Edition 1: AD&D
Edition 2: 2e AD&D
Edition 3: 3e AD&D
Edition 4: 4e AD&D
Edition 5: 5e AD&D

WotC dropped the "AD&D" from print, but since 3e-5e are direct sequential editions of 2e AD&D, they remain versions of AD&D. The half editions are not full editions, so don't alter the AD&D edition numbers. They had the potential to be full editions, but WotC decided not to go that route.

I mean, it's really easy.

Edition 1: OD&D
Edition 2: Holmes Basic(1977)
Edition 3: Moldvay Basic(1981)
Edition 4: Mentzer Basic(1983)
Edition 5: Denning Basic(1991)
Edition 6: Stewart Basic(1994)

Edition 1: AD&D
Edition 2: 2e AD&D
Edition 3: 3e AD&D
Edition 4: 4e AD&D
Edition 5: 5e AD&D

WotC dropped the "AD&D" from print, but since 3e-5e are direct sequential editions of 2e AD&D, they remain versions of AD&D. The half editions are not full editions, so don't alter the AD&D edition numbers. They had the potential to be full editions, but WotC decided not to go that route.
So when you said there are clearly only 5 editions of D&D, in the post I quoted earlier, what you actually meant was there are 11 editions of D&D.

Is that clearly 11 editions of D&D, or are the first 6 a matter of opinion?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Re: "Editions"

In the different branches of zoology, are phylogenetic trees doing a nice job of blowing up whatever was left of trying to use just the previous fairly fixed taxonomic levels (class, order, family, genus, species) ?

Is the problem with "edition" that it just isn't adequate for describing things on its own in a room of picky people who know the field?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is the problem with "edition" that it just isn't adequate for describing things on its own in a room of picky people who know the field?
That, and it is confusing to newer players when they start doing things like counting how many versions of D&D thwre have been: not useful at all from WotC perspective,and that makes sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So when you said there are clearly only 5 editions of D&D, in the post I quoted earlier, what you actually meant was there are 11 editions of D&D.

At least 11: since half-editions aren't a real thing, there are at a minimum 4 more, 5 since he actually missed one Basic edition, and 6 if you reckon 4E Essentials (arguable).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

No. When I said 5 editions of AD&D I meant 5 AD&D. When I said basic was a concurrent game I meant it was a concurrent game. There are not 11 editions of AD&D or 11 editions of OD&D/Basic D&D. Someone asked me how many editions of basic there were, so I posted that. Try to keep up.

Remove ads