D&D (2024) In Interview with GamesRadar, Chris Perkins Discusses New Books

No. When I said 5 editions of AD&D I meant 5 AD&D. When I said basic was a concurrent game I meant it was a concurrent game. There are not 11 editions of AD&D or 11 editions of OD&D/Basic D&D. Someone asked me how many editions of basic there were, so I posted that. Try to keep up.
Where, prior to my post #355, did you mention AD&D? Apologies if I missed it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Is the problem with "edition" that it just isn't adequate for describing things on its own in a room of picky people who know the field?
No, it's that the company thinks the word hurts their bottom line, is doing a media blitz to stop people using it, and people are going along.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I mean, it's really easy.

Edition 1: OD&D
Edition 2: Holmes Basic(1977)
Edition 3: Moldvay Basic(1981)
Edition 4: Mentzer Basic(1983)
Edition 5: Denning Basic(1991)
Edition 6: Stewart Basic(1994)

Edition 1: AD&D
Edition 2: 2e AD&D
Edition 3: 3e AD&D
Edition 4: 4e AD&D
Edition 5: 5e AD&D

WotC dropped the "AD&D" from print, but since 3e-5e are direct sequential editions of 2e AD&D, they remain versions of AD&D. The half editions are not full editions, so don't alter the AD&D edition numbers. They had the potential to be full editions, but WotC decided not to go that route.
"1e" AD&D is actually a second edition, with OD&D being the original edition of both the AD&D and D&D lines. Also Holmes is more an on-ramp to AD&D than really being a real predecessor to B/X (they differ greatly). Also "3e" drew from both AD&D and D&D. But then, the D&D and AD&D lines were very incestuous.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"1e" AD&D is actually a second edition, with OD&D being the original edition of both the AD&D and D&D lines. Also Holmes is more an on-ramp to AD&D than really being a real predecessor to B/X (they differ greatly). Also "3e" drew from both AD&D and D&D. But then, the D&D and AD&D lines were very incestuous.
It's not. 1e was brought out as a new game of D&D in order to avoid connection to OD&D and Basic. It was the first edition of it's line. Were it the next edition in the OD&D line, people who weren't entitled to money when 1e was released would have been entitled to it. OD&D came out years earlier, but it is in a different game line that AD&D.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
It's not. 1e was brought out as a new game of D&D in order to avoid connection to OD&D and Basic. It was the first edition of it's line. Were it the next edition in the OD&D line, people who weren't entitled to money when 1e was released would have been entitled to it. OD&D came out years earlier, but it is in a different game line that AD&D.
It was a "first" edition for BS legal purposes and only for BS legal purposes, but it's still an iteration of the original game. Hence it is in reality a second edition of the original game regardless of greedy legal maneuvering.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It was a "first" edition for BS legal purposes and only for BS legal purposes, but it's still an iteration of the original game. Hence it is in reality a second edition of the original game regardless of greedy legal maneuvering.
That doesn't matter. Settlers of Catan is a game. Settlers of Catan the Game of Thrones version includes new rules and pieces. It is not the same game. Settlers of Catan the card game is not the same game.

Just because 1e had D&D in the name and built on stuff from OD&D, does not make it the same game.

Remove ads