• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are we doing wrong

What stopped you entering the Backara Competition

• I havent downloaded the Herald

Votes: 46 86.8%
  • I didn't see any competition in the Herald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Competition was To hard

• I already own the prize

• See below

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Poll closed .

Vaxalon

First Post
Just went over and read the Herald.

BORING! Dead mundane. Lackluster art. An article on how to make blacksmiths and woodcutters with the expert class. Yawn. I can find two pages of things to use in an issue of Asgard, but I find NOTHING of use here.

Backara appears to be an attempt to prove that DnD can be just as boring as Harn.

Am I being harsh? Alright, I'm being harsh.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm another "haven't heard of it" person. Actually, in retrospect, I recall seeing a thread with the word "bakara" in the title, but I didn't read it.

I'm not much of an e-zine person, either, aside form the occasional issue of Asgard.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Hadn't heard of it, but I checked it out based on Vaxalon's harsh criticism.

I can't comment on the content or the artwork, as I was immediately put off by the writing. This is the first sentence of the first issue:

A new Ezine is born hope you enjoy it.

The magazine may have great content, it may have great art, but if it doesn't have proper grammar and punctuation, I am not going to try to read it.

I hope that's not harsh; it is intended as friendly criticism. I think the Herald needs a little sprucing up by an editor before it is ready to face the world.

Wulf

gurgi

First Post
hmmm perhaps Vaxalon might want to look at issue 2 :)
but keep comments coming

intresting seems now two of u have commented on an old issue thats intresting perhaps we need to make the current issue slightly more obvious.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
gurgi said:
intresting seems now two of u have commented on an old issue thats intresting perhaps we need to make the current issue slightly more obvious.

Work some punctuation into your budget. :p

We'll tackle the grammar later-- this is an emergency!

Wulf

gurgi

First Post
lol,
fair point, but I wasnt asking for constructive critism of my grammer, which is appauling but there are reasons as to why.
It is because of that fact I'm not the editor of the Herald....

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gurgi,

Having never heard of the Backara Herald, I will have to go give this 'zine a look.

(I'm embarrassed to say, I don't think I've downloaded more than two issues of Asgard either.) :eek:

Last edited:

Erifnogard

First Post
I tend not to download ezines. Most are not that useful to me and I have the added bother of having to print them out to read them since they are rarely formated to actually fit the screen without scrolling.

alsih2o

First Post
well, the writing quality could stand a boost.

and one great innovation(mentioned earlier) would be to make the first d20 ezine that had a whole, readable page that didn't require scrolling. what is it with the publishers who feel the need to make these pages just like old magazine pages? how about w wider, shorter page that fits on the screen?

Vaxalon

First Post
Just went and downloaded issue 2 of the Herald.

Grammar is still atrocious.

This publication plans to spread the Backara world to the masses or rather to more masses than we currently do.

Ever heard of the COMMA guys?

The word "can't" often is missing the apostrophe.

The content seems like a collection of someone's house rules.

The manor house is the crowning jewel, or demon’s bane of thecity depending on whom you talk to.

1> Manor houses weren't found in cities, historically, they were in the country.
2> Do you mean "demon's bane"? Do you really mean that some people think that the manor house harms demons? To paraphrase:

"Some people think the manor house is a good thing, but other people think it's a good thing."

In the sidebar "The Protectors" you have "rge" as the abbreviation for "rogue". It's supposed to be "rog"

Again, dead mundane content. The whole thing strikes me as an attempt to take a fairly ordinary, run-of-the-mill campaign and get validation for it by getting other people to play it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads