Mmmm...definitely fun! Howsabouts...

Diggable Planets?
Digital Underground?
DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince?
Young MC?

Jhaelen

First Post
Ghost...pop? Songs like "Cirice" sound more BÖC meets AIC to me.[...]
The song actually starts rather nice, and the heavy riffing clearly isn't pop. But as soon as the singing starts, it's all ruined. I guess that's why I'm reminded of pop. I made it to about the 3 minute mark before I had to turn it off. Blech!
The two other Ghost songs I'd heard before were worse. IIRC, one was acoustic, with a piano (a cover version?), and the other (also from the Meliora album, I think) was dominated by a Hammond organ.

This song got me hooked on Wand:[...]
This is quite good, but also quite short. I guess, I'll have to listen to an album to see if they're as good at album length.
It also reminded me about a 'new' band I really liked: Baron. Check out 'Deeper Align'! (I don't think it's on YouTube, unfortunately).

As for Battles, my favorite of there's involved an old favorite of mine:[...]
Yep, nice one, great drumming and a great video. Hmm, perhaps I need to get Gloss Drop, as well?
Back when I listenend to the album, the only song that stood out to me was Africastle. Maybe I need to listen to it again, now that I'm 'acclimatized' to their sound.

Thanks for posting these!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hair metal has a special place in my heart. I don't have any Warrant- loved "Uncle Tom's Cabin", though- but the others, fo' sho'!

Bulletboys, Europe, Vain, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Cinderella...I could go on. :D

Jhaelen

First Post
How are you on bands like Gojira and Lacuna Coil, Jhaelen? Both of them had recent releases that I enjoyed...
It's been a while since I listened to either band. I did notice that Gojira's latest album got good reviews, though. Have to check it out! (I'm still not fully taking advantage of the fact that in Germany the GEMA have finally come to an agreement with YouTube, meaning that I can now listen to/watch all kinds of bands that had been blocked for so many years).

Edit: Hair Metal? You got to be kidding! Yuck!!! (Perhaps I should mention that I've never been a big fan of 'classic' heavy metal, it's not been a part of my socialization ;-) I discovered Metallica at about the same time I first heard of Nirvana back in 1992. Instead, I made the long circuitous journey from Art-Pop, World Music and Avantgarde (Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads) to Krautrock, Progressive Rock to increasingly 'heavier' and more 'modern' music, like Tool, Isis & Neurosis, Opeth, Meshuggah, ... I also had a phase when I enjoyed 'Crossover' and what would be called Nu-Metal later on, and I still like the Deftones. But many of the 'usual suspects' like Iron Maiden make my toes curl.)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not a fan of NWOBHM, hmm? Well, that's why genres have subgenres!

Personally, I traveled the long road- starting with Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC & BÖC, etc. on the radio n the 70's while I did my homework. In those days, I was in the heartland of America, and metal wasn't being broadcast where I was.

I didn't find metal until our family moved to Texas in the 1980s. The same DJ that spun Zep & BÖC there was among those who introduced me to ZZ Top, Rush, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and- eventually- bands like Metallica, Anthrax and the like.

Result: metal from A-Z makes up the bulk of my collection. I don't get much into the bands with "Cookie Monster" vocals, though. It's OK as an accent, but as the main vox, I think it sucks.

It's one thing to splash a dash of Tabasco into your tomato soup. It is another thing entirely to drop a tomato into a bowl of Tabasco.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases