What are you listening too?

Mad_Jack

Legend
One of the lesser known but good bands from the late '80's, and one of the few hard rock outfits fronted by a woman at the time (Sandi Saraya)...
(It's worth listening to the full playlist in the link if you like them.)

Saraya playlist

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
An old local band from Connecticut... Jasper Wrath was big around here in the '70's.

It included Jeff Canata, who'd later go on to form the band Arc Angel (their video "Tragedy" played on MTV in 1983) and James Christian, who'd later go on to sing for glam metal band House of Lords...

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
I've been revisiting King Crimson of late. They were probably the most impactful band on my youthful self - when I discovered them in junior year of high school (I think), way back in 1991, I was moving out of my alt/electro-pop phase and into bands like Pink Floyd, and was totally blown away. I was one of those annoying guys who the first thing I asked people was, "Do you listen to King Crimson?" At least for a year or two. They remained my favorite band for a few years, but gradually my tastes changed/evolved. I would listen to them on occasion, but didn't have the same connection after those first few years.

But I've somewhat rekindled my love - listening through the whole catalogue, mostly the studio albums; KC definitely reaches a certain part of me unlike any other music.

For those who know little of the Crimson King, essentially there are four major phases:

Phase One: The Early Years (1969-72)
From the iconic "21st Century Schizoid Man" through the album Islands and the epic "Sailor's Tale," this has a lot of gems, but is also uneven, with a wide range of styles, though almost all of it within the background of the lovely mellotron. Definitely feels like music of its time.

Phase Two: The Classic Power Group (1973-74)
This is my favorite phase, when the band was at its height in terms of touring and, I think, "raw King Crimson-ness." It includes my two favorite albums, Larks' Tongue in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black. The song "Fracture" might be the most definitive KC song and one of the most impressively crafted and performed pieces of music (Robert Fripp called it "impossible to play," largely due to a few minute segment of continued complex finger-picking....a guitarist wrote a book on the almost-twenty years it took him to learn to play it).

Phase Three: The Levin-Belew Crew (1981-84)
After breaking up for seven years, the band reformed around Fripp (of course) and superstar drummer, Bill Bruford, plus New Wave icon Adrian Belew and Peter Gabriel bassist Tony Levin, with an entirely different sound. This, I think, is their most innovative phase - there is nothing quite like the KC of the early 80s: no one was making music like this. Discipline is the classic album, but the last of three, Three of a Perfect Pair, is very underrated, imo, and saw them at their peak, especially with instrumentals like "Nuages" and "Industry."

Phase Four: The Double Trio Years (1995-2003)
My least favorite phase. I saw them in concern in '95 and was a bit disappointed, partially because of the sonics of where I saw them - it was just super loud - and the wash of sound was a bit too metal for me. Plus, not sure I liked the double trio, which contributed to the "noisiness." But still some really good stuff mixed in, and very much KC.

I suppose there is a fifth phase, which is the "extended KC" that sprouted from Phase Four - the Projeckts, plus the touring bands in various incarnations, which you can find on Youtube. My guess is that they're done with studio albums - Robert Fripp is 76 years old, after all, though I would be surprised if he signs over the rights to newish lead singer and second guitarist, Jakko Jakszyk.

King Crimson Studio Albums Ranked
  1. Larks Tongues in Aspic (1973). Has three of my ten or so favorite songs: the title song (part 1), plus "The Talking Drum" and "Easy Money," but the whole album is excellent, through and through. Plus, it is the only studio album with wildman percussionist Jamie Muir. *****
  2. Starless and Bible Black (1974). Really 1b...SBB was my favorite early on, and has some tremendous improvs such as "We'll Let You Know" and the title piece, plus the definitive masterwork, "Fracture." *****
  3. In The Court of the Crimson King (1969). It started here. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is probably their best known piece, but "The Court" is my favorite here, and really embodies the era; the whole album is excellent. ****1/2.
  4. Three of a Perfect Pair (1984). You won't find many KC fans who like this first of this era, but here you go. The instrumental-heavy B-side is particularly good. ****1/2.
  5. Discipline (1981). When I first heard that opening bass stick piece in "Elephant Talk," I knew I was in for something special. "Indiscipline" is a masterpiece, plus the title track, "The Sheltering Sky," and others. ****1/2
  6. Red (1974). Some like this best of this era, but for me it is a half-step down the previous two albums - but still excellent. ****
  7. Islands (1972). A mixed bag, but with some excellent pieces - including one of my favorites, "Sailor's Tale," the beautiful title track, and the skanky "Ladies of the Road." ***1/2
  8. Beat (1982). Continues on from Discipline with some excellent pieces, but it is also evident that they were trying to hit the charts a bit too much with this one. ***1/2
  9. In the Wake of Poseidon (1970). It is a fine album, but feels like extras from ITCCK...or a lesser re-hash. ***
  10. The Power to Believe (2003). The best of this era, with some interesting pieces, just not a sound I like as much. ***
  11. Lizard (1970). Possibly the most divisive album in terms of people either loving or hating it, and certainly the odd-ball of the discography. They were definitely experimenting, with a somewhat "renaissance sound." **1/2
  12. Thrak (1995). There are two songs I really like on this album, "Thrak" and "Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream," but the rest is variations of meh, imo. **
  13. The Construcktion of Light (2000). The title track is the best piece, imo, and there are one or two solid others, but this is my least favorite KC album, or at least tied with Thrak. I've also listened to it the least, so perhaps should give it some more listens. **

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I would never have come across this podcast if Gabe hadn't mentioned it on Facebook, as the interviewer isn't a primary English speaker. Gabe and JR Rawls are interviewed over their involvement in the creation of the movie "Dark Dungeons" based on the Chick Tract. The intro is in Finnish (I think), but the interview is in English.

Remove ads